Feb. 19, 2011
Contact: Greg Murphy
The loss drops the Vikings to 3-4 this season and snapped a two-match win streak for CSU.
"I thought we played some great tennis today and there were chances for us to get a few more points on the board, but we couldn't close out some points," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "I thought we competed well as a team and I am really seeing this team improve every time we take the court."
Freshman Alex Power and Alex Bush teamed to give the Vikings an 8-3 win at No. 2 singles, but the Spartans won at No. 1 and No. 3 to earn the doubles point.
"We switched up the doubles lineup a bit today and I thought Alex and Alex really played well together," Etzkin said. "They had a lot of intensity and really fed off each other. Unfortunately, we couldn't get another win in doubles to get us that point, but I thought we had some great moments at No. 1 and No. 3 as well."
Janek earned a 7-6, (7-5), 2-6, 10-8 win at No. 5 singles, while Lazaris was victorious at No. 6 singles, 7-5, 6-2.
"Both Maria and Nicole were outstanding today," Etzkin said. "Maria got us a quick point in singles and is playing some very good tennis now. She is moving her feet very well and hitting a lot of winners.
"And Nicole battled hard to win the third set today and get us another point."
The Vikings conclude their weekend trip with an 11:00 a.m. match at Indiana on Sunday (Feb. 20).
Michigan State 5, Cleveland State 2
Feb 19, 2011 at East Lansing, Mich.
1. BARTON, Amy (MSU) def. Bjerrehus, Catrine (CSU) 6-3, 3-6, 10-4
2. RUSAKOVA, Valentina (MSU) def. Power, Alex (CSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. BOHRER, Marina (MSU) def. Sherwood, Kara (CSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. SILESOVA, Michaela (MSU) def. BUSH, Alex (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Janek, Nicole (CSU) def. LINGL, Katarina (MSU) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 10-8
6. Lazaris, Maria (CSU) def. HERZOG, Nicole (MSU) 7-5, 6-2
1. BOHRER, Marina/BARTON, Amy (MSU) def. BJERREHUS, Catrine/SHERWOOD, Kara (CSU) 8-2
2. BUSH, Alex/POWER, Alex (CSU) def. WILSON, Whitney/SILESOVA, Michaela (MSU) 8-3
3. HERZOG, Nicole/GUENTERT, Dana (MSU) def. JANEK, Nicole/LAZARIS, Maria (CSU) 8-5