MELBOURNE, Fla. – The Cleveland State women's tennis team played its first match on its annual Spring Break Trip Tuesday afternoon, falling at Florida Tech, 8-1. The Vikings and the Panthers played according to Division II rules, with all three doubles matches counting towards the team point total.
Tuesday's contest against the Panthers marked Cleveland State's first match that was played outdoors this spring.
"I thought the team put forth a good effort today, and they really battled against a tough Florida Tech team. Things weren't perfect for us, but they really fought hard and had great energy throughout the match," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "Florida Tech was the best doubles team that we have seen in a while, all three doubles teams put pressure on us and played very aggressive, which is rare to find three doubles teams that can do that consistently. After dropping the doubles points, it really stopped us from getting anything going, but Aleksandra was able to put us on the board with her singles win. Hopefully we can improve from today's match and go out and get the victory tomorrow."
Cleveland State's lone point on the day came from Aleksandra Golawska at No. 5 singles, as she posted a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Florida Tech's Alahna Reto. The win, which was Golawska's second straight, gave her a team-best six singles wins this spring, and improves her overall record to 8-7 this year.
The Vikings will continue their Spring Break Trip tomorrow (Wednesday, March 16), facing UCF at 10:00 a.m.
Florida Tech 8, Cleveland State 1
1. Vukovic/Chanley (FT) def. Spindler/Golawska (CSU), 8-3
2. Egoroff/Rabson (FT) def. Bensimon/Nix (CSU), 8-6
3. Hergott/Reto (FT) def. Orange/Gbadamosi (CSU), 8-5
1. Natasa Vukovic (FT) def. Mathilde Orange (CSU), 6-2, 7-6 (9)
2. Chloe Chanley (FT) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Kayla Hergott (FT) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-7 (4), 6-2, 1-0 (8)
4. Erin Egoroff (FT) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Alahna Reto (FT), 6-0, 6-1
6. Lauren Stuckey (FT) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 6-2, 6-4