Contact: Renee Adam
BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Cleveland State women's tennis team started off their three-match roadswing with a victory Saturday, earning a 4-3 win over Florida Atlantic. The victory, which extends CSU's win streak to five, puts the Vikings at 6-5 on the season.
"This was a great team win today, no matter what the score or the conditions this team always finds a way to fight back and get the win," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "The fact that this team has shown they can come back from anything is a good sign for the rest of the season - they never give up or lose focus. After dropping the doubles point we got down quickly in singles, but roared back to win four singles matches. Maria had one of the best matches of the day, coming back from down 5-2 in the third set to win the match. She was playing a tough opponent and her focus really allowed her to get the victory. Mathilde also showed great focus today - storming back in her third set to get the win after dropping the second set."
Although Florida Atlantic was able to pick up the doubles point, the Cleveland State duo of Alex Bush and Kara Sherwood posted an 8-3 victory at No. 1 doubles - marking their second straight doubles victory and fourth of the spring season.
For the third time this season the Vikings were able to pick up four singles wins - including two straight set victories - in order to claim the victory against FAU. The two straight set victories came from Sherwood at the No. 4 spot (6-4, 7-5) and Nicole Janek at No. 6 singles (6-3, 6-4). Janek's victory against the Owls was her fourth straight singles win, while Sherwood's marked her third straight win.
After Florida Atlantic picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, Maria Lazaris tied the match with a 6-7(2), 6-2, 7-5 victory at No. 5 singles, marking her fourth victory out of her last five matches. Mathilde Orange then clinched the match for the Vikings with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 win at the top of the lineup.
The Vikings will continue their three-match roadswing on Monday (March 11), facing North Florida at 2:00 p.m.
Cleveland State 4, Florida Atlantic 3
1. BUSH, Alex/SHERWOOD, Kara (CSU) def. BRIGGS, Taylor/ANDREWS, Claire (FAU) 8-3
2. CARDULLO, Stephanie/RYAN, Marlene (FAU) def. LAZARIS, Maria/POWER, Alex (CSU) 8-5
3. ENE, Catalina/PHILLIPS, Natasha (FAU) def. JANEK, Nicole/ORANGE, Mathilde (CSU) 8-6
1. Orange, Mathilde (CSU) def. RYAN, Marlene (FAU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. ENE, Catalina (FAU) def. BUSH, Alex (CSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. BASMA, Natasha (FAU) def. Power, Alex (CSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Sherwood, Kara (CSU) def. TOMASZEWICZ, Natalia (FAU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Lazaris, Maria (CSU) def. CARDULLO, Stephanie (FAU) 6-7 (2), 6-2, 7-5
6. Janek, Nicole (CSU) def. BRIGGS, Taylor (FAU) 6-3, 6-4