- Essence Canady scored her first goal of the season
- Elena Gutlove assisted on the goal, which marked her third consecutive match with a point
- Head coach Dallas Boyer notched a victory in his first match against his alma mater as a manager
- Stevie Holbrook notched her second shutout of the season by making three saves
- Cleveland State posted its first-ever win against Miami (Ohio) as the RedHawks won the only previous meeting between the two teams
OXFORD, Ohio -- Junior Essence Canady scored in the 71st minute and Stevie Holbrook recorded her second shutout of the season as Cleveland State defeated Miami (Ohio) 1-0 on Sunday on the Miami Soccer Field.
After a scoreless first period, Cleveland State broke through in the 71st minute with what proved to be the winning goal. Elena Gutlove took a free kick near the sideline in the offensive zone and centered the ball, which Canady put past keeper Izzie Vaccari for a 1-0 Vikings lead.
It marked the first goal of the season for Canady, while Gutlove has registered a point in three consecutive matches and leads the Vikings with five points on the season.
Cleveland State, which improved to 2-1-1 on the season, had to withstand a lengthy weather delay in the second period. With only 6:56 to play in the match, lightning was spotted in the area forcing a delay. After the resumption of play, Holbrook had to make one of her three saves in posting her second shutout of the season.
Cleveland State head coach Dallas Boyer earned a victory against his alma mater in his first match as a manger versus his former school. It also marked the Vikings first-ever win against the RedHawks as the teams had only met once prior to the meeting on Sunday.
The Vikings will next return to action in the Lone Star state next weekend. Cleveland State will face Texas-San Antonio on Friday (Sept. 6) and then meet Rice in San Antonio on Sunday (Sept. 8).