CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team dropped its first match in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion this season on Friday evening, falling to Butler 5-2.
From The Sidelines
"It was a very competitive college match today, and I think the final result came down to very small moments in each set and each match. It hurt that we were missing a player, but I think we had a chance to win or lose the match on the court. We have some little things to work on over the next few weeks, and we are going to try to pick up some steam over the next stretch of matches." – Head Coach Brian Etzkin
· 2018 Record: 5-4
· The Vikings were playing with an alternate lineup Friday, with freshmen occupying the first three spots in the singles lineup.
· This was Cleveland State's first loss at the MMTP this season, as the Vikings now stand at 5-1 when playing at home this spring.
· Luke Phillips picked up Cleveland State's first singles win on the day, earning a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles. This marked Phillips' third straight singles win, and improved him to 15-7 overall this year and 5-3 in dual match play.
· Cleveland State's second singles win came from Benjamin Slade at the No. 4 spot, as he posted a 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (8) victory. For the season, Slade is now 11-9 overall and 5-3 this spring.
· Cleveland State will host a doubleheader on Sunday, February 18, hosting Bucknell at 10:00 a.m. and John Carroll at 2:00 p.m.
1. Slade/Radosevic (CSU) vs. Dragos/Ben Shabat (BU), 5-4, unf.
2. Lang/Dickson (BU) def. Malm/Phillips (CSU), 6-3
3. Gerstein/Mag (BU) def. Terry/Santilli (CSU), 6-4
1. Mason Dragos (BU) def. Matthew Terry (CSU), 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Aviv Ben Shabat (BU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Spencer Lang (BU) def. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU), 6-3, 7-5
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Michael Dickson (BU), 7-6 (7), 4-6, 1-0 (8)
5. Ari Gerstein (BU) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
6. Lope Adelakun (BU) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-4, 6-4