Sept. 26, 2006
Contact: Josh Rattray
"This was a hard loss to take," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We knew coming in it would be a tough match. There were some things that didn't go our way today, but I give all the credit to IPFW. They played better than us today and they got the win."
Galon and Ungerott, now 6-1 at No. 1 doubles, won 8-6 over IPFW's top tandem, Ashley Coulson and Stacy Lish while the Vikings dropped the other two doubles matches. After junior Lindsay Sellers and sophomore Kristin Chamberlain fell, 8-3, in the No. 2 doubles spot, all eyes were on freshman Denisa Muntean and junior Christine Vogelgesang in the No. 3 doubles match. Muntean and Vogelgesang took a late 8-7 lead and had the serve, but IPFW broke their serve and ultimately won the match, 9-8 (1), to clinch the doubles point for IPFW.
The Vikings were looking good in singles play until injuries hit late in the match. After Galon (6-1) dominated in the top spot, winning 6-2, 6-1 and Ungerott (4-3) got the Vikings the No. 4 singles point with a 6-4, 6-4 win, Muntean injured her wrist after winning, 6-2, in the first set of her match at No. 2 singles. Muntean lost the last two sets both by the score of 6-0. Junior Lindsay Sellers, who has been battling injury all year, lost her first set in the third spot, 6-1, before retiring.
The Vikings split the Nos. 5 and 6 spots, as Chamberlain won at No. 6 singles 6-2, 6-2 and Vogelgesang was edged 7-5, 6-3 at No. 5 singles.
The loss is CSU's only dual match of the fall season. The Vikings travel to the Ball State Invitational in
1. Sarah Galon def. Ashley Coulson - 6-2, 6-1
2. Stacy Lish def. Denisa Muntean - 2,6, 6-0, 6-0
3. Sachi Janek def. Lindsay Sellers - 6-1, ret.
4. Morgan Ungerott def. Hanna Hager - 6-4, 6-4
5. Lisa Bartelheim def. Christine Vogelgesang - 7-5, 6-3
6. Kristin Chamberlain def. Alexa Rang - 6-2, 6-2
1. Galon/Ungerott def. Coulson/Lish - 8-6
2. Bartelheim/Hager def. Sellers/Chamberlain - 8-3
3. Janek/Rang def. Muntean/Vogelgesang - 9-8 (1)