Sept. 17, 2006
Contact: Josh Rattray
BOWLING GREEN - Two of
Galon, who was 4-1 on the season entering Sunday, dominated in the top singles flight, defeating Jackie Villines of Xavier, 6-2, 6-2 for third place.
"We were really happy that we had two doubles teams make it to the finals, and Sarah also played very well at No. 1 singles," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "For us to do that well against that caliber of competition is very encouraging."
In the No. 2 doubles flight, sophomore Kristin Chamberlain and freshman Charlotte Gibbons split to matches, losing to the duo of Thayer and Fuleky from
Muntean, Ungerott and Gibbons won their matches in the Nos. 2, 3 and 4 spots, respectively. Muntean's 6-4, 6-1 win over Jenna Nussbaum of
Vogelgesang lost a three-set thriller, 6-4, 1-6 (12-10) to Nikki Dzubay of
"I was happy with how we played as a team," Etzkin said. "We got a lot of key wins, and competing against some league teams gave us a good idea of where we are. We just need to keep improving. We're right there, knocking on the door."
1. Morgan Ungerott/Sarah Galon def. Mellion/Detroy (
Gill-Morlis/Smith (UIC) def. Ungerott/Galon - 8-6 (Ungerott/Galon finish 2nd)
2. Thayer/Fuleky (YSU) def. Kristin Chamberlain/Charlotte Gibbons - 8-1
Chamberlain/Gibbons def. Gray/Dzubay (
3. Christine Vogelgesang/Denisa Muntean def. Azoway/Vandermolen (
Menoff/Kintzel (BGSU) def. Vogelgesang/Muntean - 8-4 (Vogelgesang/Muntean finish 2nd)
1. Sarah Galon def. Jackie Villines (Xavier) - 6-2, 6-2 (Galon finishes 3rd)
2. Denisa Muntean def. Jenna Nussbaum (BGSU) - 6-4, 6-1 (Muntean finishes 7th)
3. Morgan Ungerott def. Jill Ducro (Xavier) - 7-6 (0), 6-4 (Ungerott finishes 5th)
4. Charlotte Gibbons def. Nicole Haralambopolous (YSU) - 6-3, 6-3 (Gibbons finishes 5th)
5. Nikki Dzubay (
6. Alyssa Carlson (