Feb. 26, 2011
Contact: Greg Murphy
TOLEDO, Ohio - Cleveland State got out to a quick start by winning the doubles point, but Toledo came back to win five singles matches and defeat the Vikings, 5-2, on Friday night.
The loss drops CSU to 3-6 this spring.
"We got off to a fantastic start with wins in two of the three doubles matches and really took some good momentum into singles," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "That was some of the best doubles we have played this year and we were able to win several key points and close out matches to get the point."
The No. 2 doubles team of freshmen Alex Bush and Alex Power battled all match in a 9-8 (7-4) victory, while the No. 3 squad of sophomores Maria Lazaris and Nicole Janek won, 8-6, to help the Vikings jump out to a 1-0 lead.
"It was great to see our doubles team play well together," Etzkin said. "We changed around the lineup a few weeks ago and I think it has really helped make a difference."
However, Toledo would rally to secure the match with wins in five of the six singles contests.
Freshman Kara Sherwood was the lone Viking to win, earning a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles.
"We definitely had some chances to win some more points in singles, but were not able to get those key points or breaks in some matches," Etzkin said.
The Vikings are back in action on Saturday evening when they play at Western Michigan at 6:00 p.m.
Toledo 5, Cleveland State 2
Feb 25, 2011 at Toledo, Ohio
1. GUIMARAES, Polina (UT) def. Bjerrehus, Catrine (CSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. FREY, Ashley (UT) def. Power, Alex (CSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Sherwood, Kara (CSU) def. BORDER, Amanda (UT) 6-2, 6-2
4. ANONSEN, Kelsey (UT) def. Janek, Nicole (CSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
5. CRISTELLO, Alexandra (UT) def. BUSH, Alex (CSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. COFFMAN, Chrissy (UT) def. Lazaris, Maria (CSU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
1. GUIMARAES, Polina/FREY, Ashley (UT) def. BJERREHUS, Catrine/SHERWOOD, Kara (CSU) 9-8 (7-2)
2. POWER, Alex/BUSH, Alex (CSU) def. ANONSEN, Kelsey/CRISTELLO, Alexandra (UT) 9-8 (7-4)
3. JANEK, Nicole/LAZARIS, Maria (CSU) def. CARVAJAL, Silvia/BORDER, Amanda (UT) 8-6