CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team remained perfect in Horizon League play Friday, earning a 7-0 victory over IUPUI to notch its 10th straight victory. With the win, the Vikings are now 15-7 overall this year and 8-0 in league action.
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 7, IUPUI 0
· Cleveland State earned the early doubles point for the 10th straight match, including all eight matches in Horizon League play.
· Isabella Spindler picked up her 59th career win against IUPUI, moving into a tie for 12th place on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· Kateryna Avram notched her team-leading 25th singles win of the season, improving to 18-3 this spring with her win at the No. 6 spot.
· Friday's victory over IUPUI marked the 10th straight win for the Vikings, and improved them to 8-0 in #HLWTEN play, tying the program record for Horizon League wins in a season.
· Cleveland State now owns a perfect 9-0 record when playing at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion this season.
The Vikings were once again able to earn the early 1-0 advantage after picking up the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Cleveland State's top doubles team of Isabella Spindler and Klara Mrcela earned a 6-2 victory, while Gaby Schoenberg and Siân Payne posted a matching 6-2 victory at the No. 3 spot.
Cleveland State was then able to gain a quick 2-0 lead after Mrcela picked up a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles, while Payne put the Vikings up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-4 win at the No. 4 spot.
Spindler clinched the match for the Vikings at the top of the lineup, earning a 6-2, 6-4 victory to extend Cleveland State's win streak to 10 straight matches.
The Vikings were then able to go up 5-0 following a 1-6, 6-1, 6-2 win from Kateryna Avram at No. 6 singles, a win that kept her undefeated in league play this season (8-0).
Cleveland State then earned its sixth 7-0 sweep of the season with wins at No. 5 and No. 3 singles, as Schoenberg earned a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0(5) at the No. 5 spot and Lara Prosenjak battled for a 1-6, 6-3, 7-6(3) win at No. 3 singles.
From The Sidelines
"This was a good match for us today, we showed a lot of fight throughout doubles and singles, and ended up picking up a solid win. I thought our No. 1 and No. 3 doubles teams played really well today and gave us some momentum going into singles. We had some battles up and down the singles lineup, and despite losing a couple first sets we found a way to fight back and get the 7-0 win. This sets us up for a great match against UIC tomorrow, so we will need to refocus and get back out on the courts with the same energy when we face UIC tomorrow." – head coach Frank Polito
· The Vikings will close out the regular season tomorrow (Saturday, April 20), hosting UIC at 2:00 p.m. in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
Doubles (2, 1, 3)
1. Spindler/Mrcela (CSU) def. Lounsbury/Ochalik (IUPUI), 6-2
2. Grubb/Pessina (IUPUI) def. Prosenjak/Avram (CSU), 6-1
3. Payne/Schoenberg (CSU) def. Bernard/Hayward (IUPUI), 6-2
Singles (2, 4, 1, 6, 5, 3)
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Gabrielle Ochalik (IUPUI), 6-2, 6-4
2. Klara Mrcela (CSU) def. Sarah Lounsbury (IUPUI), 6-3, 6-2
3. Lara Prosenjak (CSU) def. Mariella Pessina (IUPUI), 1-6, 6-3, 7-6(5)
4. Siân Payne (CSU) def. Krystal Grubb (IUPUI), 6-2, 6-4
5. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU) def. Meghan Bernard (IUPUI), 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(5)
6. Kateryna Avram (CSU) def. Samantha Hayward (IUPUI), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2