MACON, Ga. – The Cleveland State women's tennis team played its first match in the state of Georgia on its annual Spring Break Trip Sunday morning, as the Vikings dropped a hard fought 4-3 contest at Mercer.
PDF BOX SCORE | Mercer 4, Cleveland State 3
· Kateryna Avram picked up her team-leading 15th singles win of the season against Mercer, improving to a team-best 8-3 this spring.
· Sunday's match against Mercer marked the first meeting between the two teams, while it also marked the first match played outdoors for the Vikings this spring.
After dropping the doubles point, and the first singles match at the No. 4 spot, Cleveland State was able to even the match at 2-2 following a pair of wins at No. 2 singles and No. 6 singles.
The Vikings were then able to gain a 3-2 advantage following a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 win from Lara Prosenjak at No. 3 singles, but that would be the final point for the Vikings, as Mercer picked up the final two singles matches in tough three-set decisions for the 4-3 victory.
From The Sidelines
"I thought we played really well in singles today, we were able to pick up five first sets, but unfortunately that wasn't enough to get the win today. Klara played a great match to get us on the board followed by another quick win from Kate, and I thought Lara played her best match of the year to get us our final singles point. Although we played some strong singles, we left the doubles point out there despite having chances to get the early 1-0 advantage. We showed a lot of fight up and down the lineup, and we need to continue to show that energy as we regroup and prepare for Kennesaw State." – head coach Frank Polito
· The Vikings will continue their Spring Break Trip by traveling to Kennesaw State for an 11:00 a.m. match on Wednesday, March 13.
Doubles (1, 2, 3)
1. Sidor/Schepers (MER) def. Avram/Mrcela (CSU), 6-1
2. Spindler/Schoenberg (CSU) def. Gutierrez/Mottet (MER), 6-1
3. Hollyfield/Roquebert (MER) def. Prosenjak/Payne (CSU), 7-5
Singles (4, 2, 6, 3, 1, 5)
1. Katie Sidor (MER) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Klara Mrcela (MER) def. Alara Hollyfield (MER), 6-0, 6-0
3. Lara Prosenjak (CSU) def. Maeva Roquebert (MER), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Celine Schepers (MER) def. Siân Payne (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Maria Mottet (MER) def. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Kateryna Avram (CSU) def. Anna Sovic (MER), 6-4, 7-6(1)