AKRON, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team had its four-match winstreak come to an end Wednesday afternoon, as the Vikings dropped a 7-0 match at Akron. The Vikings now stand at 5-6 overall this spring.
PDF BOX SCORE | Akron 7, Cleveland State 0
· Despite dropping the doubles point, the Cleveland State duo of Siân Payne and Lara Prosenjak was able to pick up a 6-3 win at No. 3 doubles, remaining perfect during the spring season with a 4-0 record.
· Klara Mrcela entered Wednesday's contest on a four-match singles winstreak – the longest winstreak of the season for the Vikings – which she saw come to end with her loss to Miruna Vasilescu.
· Wednesday's match at Akron was the first of a six-match roadswing for the Vikings, as they will be on the road for the remainder of the month of March.
From The Sidelines
"This was a hard match for us today, I thought we left a couple points on the courts, and would possibly see a different outcome if we played the match again. I give Akron a lot of credit for coming out strong during doubles, and although we fought hard in singles, we came up short today. Now we need to use this match and continue our preparations as we move forward to our annual Spring Break Trip to Mercer and Kennesaw State next week." – head coach Frank Polito
· The Vikings will continue their current six-match roadswing at Mercer (Sunday, March 10) and Kennesaw State (Wednesday, March 13) during their annual Spring Break Trip next week.
Doubles (3, 1, 2)
1. Pedroso/Vasilescu (AKR) def. Avram/Mrcela (CSU), 6-2
2. Geier/Uljanov (AKR) def. Spindler/Schoenberg (CSU), 6-3
3. Payne/Prosenjak (CSU) def. Forgaci/Long (AKR), 6-3
Singles (1, 6, 3, 4, 2, 5)
1. Sophia Geier (AKR) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Miruna Vasilescu (AKR) def. Klara Mrcela (CSU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Anna Uljanov (AKR) def. Siân Payne (CSU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Luisa Echeverry (AKR) def. Lara Prosenjak (CSU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Claudia Garcias (AKR) def. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(10)
6. Rita Pedroso (AKR) def. Kateryna Avram (CSU), 6-2, 6-1