DETROIT, Mich. – The Cleveland State women's tennis team got back in the win column Saturday, picking up a 4-3 victory at Detroit Mercy.
From The Sidelines
"This was a tight match until the very end, and the upperclassman really played tough to help us get the win today. Although we started out flat in doubles, we were able to turn that around in singles play, and used the switch in momentum to help us get some quick first sets which led to crucial singles points for us today. We have a quick turnaround for our match at Oakland tomorrow, so we need to rest up and refocus for another tough match." – Associate head coach Frank Polito
· 2018 Record: 7-11, 3-1
· With a win at No. 4 singles, Jana Schober is now just six wins shy of recording her 50th career singles win.
· A win at No. 3 singles gave Aleksandra Golawska 66 career singles wins, putting her just three wins shy of moving into eighth place on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· Saturday's match marked the first road match during Horizon League play for the Vikings this season.
· Cleveland State now owns a 15-9 advantage against the Titans, and has won three straight meetings in the series.
· Aleksandra Golawska put the Vikings on the board with a win at No. 3 singles, posting a 6-1, 6-0 victory against Pauline Van Herck. Golawska is now 14-12 on the season, and 7-9 this spring.
· Cleveland State's next singles win came at the top of the lineup, as Isabella Spindler earned a 6-1, 6-4 victory against Iris Thioux. Spindler now has a team-best 15 singles wins this season, and owns a team-best 9-8 record this spring.
·Jana Schober picked up the Vikings' third singles win on the day, earning a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Ksenia Providokhina. Schober is now 12-10 overall and 8-4 during dual match play.
· Cleveland State will travel to Oakland for a 4:30 p.m. match tomorrow (Sunday, April 8).
1. Apawti/Apawti (UDM) def. Spindler/Golawska (CSU), 6-3
2. Thioux/Van Herck (UDM) def. Schober/Lenoan (CSU), 6-3
3. Schoenberg/Perin (CSU) win by forfeit
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Iris Thioux (UDM), 6-1, 6-4
2. Jasmine Apawti (UDM) def. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Pauline Van Herck (UDM), 6-1, 6-0
4. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Ksenia Providokhina (UDM), 6-0, 6-3
5. Chelsea Apawti (UDM) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Anastasia Perin (CSU) win by forfeit