CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team kicked off its Horizon League slate Saturday, earning a 6-0 victory over Green Bay in the league opener.
From The Sidelines
"This was a good start to the Horizon League season for us, we came out ready to play today and took care of business. The entire team played really well today, and we were completely focused throughout doubles and singles play. Now we need to turn our focus to Milwaukee and prepare for our next match tomorrow." – Associate head coach Frank Polito
· 2018 Record: 5-10, 1-0 HL
· The Vikings now stand at 12-4 in Horizon League openers, and have won 10 straight league openers.
· Jana Schober is now just eight wins shy of recording her 50th career singles win, ending the match with 42 victories after her win at No. 4 singles.
· With her doubles win against the Phoenix, Aleksandra Golawska is now in sole possession of eighth place on the CSU Doubles Wins List with 57 career doubles.
· Cleveland State earned the early doubles point against the Phoenix, with Isabella Spindler and Aleksandra Golawska picking up a 6-1 win at the top of the lineup along with a default win at the No. 3 spot.
· Jana Schober and Aleksandra Golawska picked up the first two singles points for the Vikings, with both cruising to 6-0, 6-0 victories at No. 4 and No. 3 singles, respectively. Schober now stands at 10-9 overall this season and Golawska owns a 12-11 record.
· Isabella Spindler clinched the match for the Vikings at the top of the lineup, earning a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Spindler, who has played the entire spring season at No. 1 singles, is tied for the team lead with 13 singles wins this year.
·Blanche Lenoan picked up the final point against the Phoenix, posting a 6-2, 6-1 win. With the win, Lenoan now has an even 7-7 record this spring.
· Cleveland State will continue Horizon League play tomorrow (Sunday, March 25), hosting Milwaukee at 10:00 a.m.
1. Spindler/Golawska (CSU) def. Tebon/Piaskowski (GB), 6-1
2. Schober/Lenoan (CSU) vs. Pedersen/Neff (GB), 3-3, unf.
3. Schoenberg/Perin (CSU) win by forfeit
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Theresa Tebon (GB), 6-0, 6-1
2. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU) vs. Tallie Piaskowski (GB), 7-5, 1-0, unf.
3. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Maria Neff (GB), 6-0, 6-0
4. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Sterre Tijssens (GB), 6-0, 6-0
5. Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Samm Pedersen (GB), 6-2, 6-1
6. Anastasia Perin (CSU) win by forfeit