BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team closed out the weekend with a dual match at Bowling Green Sunday afternoon, falling to the Falcons, 4-3.
"Despite playing with a banged-up lineup for the second straight match, I'm so proud of how hard this team fought today and how much they pushed their matches in singles and doubles play until the very end," associate head coach Frank Polito said. "Although she has been battling the flu all week, Jana had a great day for us, grinding out a doubles and singles win today. We definitely have to give Bowling Green credit, they are a talented team who always puts up a strong fight no matter what the circumstances. We will be able to learn and grow from this match, and hopefully have a good week of practice before our match at Akron next weekend."
The Vikings got on the board early against the Falcons, picking up the doubles point with a win at No. 2 doubles and a forfeit at the No. 3 spot. Victoria Bensimon and Jana Schober cruised to a 6-1 victory at No. 2 doubles, and Princess Gbadamosi and Blanche Lenoan earned the forfeit win at No. 3 doubles.
Cleveland State was then able to pick up another forfeit victory at No. 6 singles, to gain a 2-0 lead before Bowling Green rattled off three straight wins at the top three singles spots.
Schober was able to even the score at 3-3 with her win at No. 5 singles, coming out on top of a 6-2, 6-2 decision for her fourth singles win of the spring.
Bowling Green was then able to pick up its clinching point at the No. 4 spot, coming away with the 4-3 victory.
Cleveland State will close out its three-match roadswing next weekend, traveling to Akron for a 2:00 p.m. contest.
Bowling Green 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Comella/Tavpash (BG) def. Spindler/Golawska (CSU), 6-3
2. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) def. Radeva/Sasaki (BG), 6-1
3. Gbadamosi/Lenoan (CSU) win by forfeit
1. Paula Comella (BG) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Polina Radeva (BG) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Marharita Tavpash (BG) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Ayumi Sasaki (BG) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Emily Witt (BG), 6-2, 6-2
6. Katy Quillin (CSU) win by forfeit