CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team picked up its third straight victory Saturday evening, posting its third 7-0 sweep in as many matches against Niagara. With the win, the Vikings improve to 3-4 on the young season.
"This was a good team effort today, we battled through some adversity on a couple of courts, but we are very proud of the mental toughness with the entire team, but especially with Aleksandra and Isabella," associate head coach Frank Polito said. "Blanche had a great weekend for us, and I'm impressed with how far she has come over the first few weeks of the spring season. Now we have to move forward and get ready for DePaul and Bowling Green next weekend."
The Vikings were able to easily pick up the doubles point, with Isabella Spindler and Aleksandra Golawska posting a 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles and Victoria Bensimon and Jana Schober earning a 6-1 victory at the No. 2 spot.
Freshman Blanche Lenoan then picked up Cleveland State's first singles victory, cruising to a 6-0, 6-0 straight-set win at No. 6 singles. Princess Gbadamosi was the next to get on the board in singles play, picking up a 6-0, 6-1 victory at the No. 4 spot. With the win, Gbadamosi became the ninth Viking all-time to record 60 career singles victories, and now stands alone in ninth place on the CSU Singles Wins List.
The Vikings picked up their clinching point at No. 5 singles, with Schober capturing a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Bensimon then picked up her team-leading sixth win of the spring at No. 2 singles, posting a 6-1, 6-0 victory. With the win, Bensimon now has 65 career singles wins.
The final two points of the day came from Golawska at No. 3 singles (6-3, 6-2) and Spindler at the top of the lineup (6-1, 7-6).
The Vikings will return to action next weekend, traveling to DePaul (Saturday, Feb. 18) and Bowling Green (Sunday, February 19) for a pair of dual matches.
Cleveland State 7, Niagara 0
1. Spindler/Golawska (CSU) def. Ranjan/Deshmukh (NIA), 6-2
2. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) def. Hutchinson/Wong (NIA), 6-1
3. Gbadamosi/Lenoan (CSU) vs. Peisakhova/Vargas (NIA), 5-3, unf.
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Stella Peisakhova (NIA), 6-1, 7-6
2. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Sharlee Deshmukh (NIA), 6-1, 6-0
3. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Shannon Wong (NIA), 6-3, 6-2
4. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Sansriti Ranjan (NIA), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Ali Hutchinson (NIA), 6-1, 6-0
6. Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Jasmin Vargas (NIA), 6-0, 6-0