CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team picked up its second straight victory Friday afternoon, posting a 7-0 sweep over Case Western. The Vikings now stand at 2-4 on the young season.
"This was a good team effort for us today, everyone played solid tennis in doubles and singles," associate head coach Frank Polito said. "I thought our doubles teams played some really good tennis today, and continue to improve week after week. We are looking to build off of today's match and move forward to tomorrow. It's great playing on our home court, and hopefully we can carry the momentum into tomorrow's match against Niagara."
The Vikings got off to a quick start with the doubles point, sweeping all three matches. At the top of the doubles lineup, the team of Isabella Spindler and Aleksandra Golawska picked up their first win of the spring with a 6-1 decision. The victory gave the duo their 19th win as a doubles team, moving Spindler and Golawska into ninth place on the CSU Doubles Wins List.
Freshman Blanche Lenoan put the Vikings' first singles point on the board then, picking up a 6-0, 6-4 victory at the No. 6 spot. This was quickly followed by a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles from Bensimon, marking her team-leading 10th victory of the season.
Bensimon has now won four straight singles matches and seven of her last eight.
Cleveland State's clinching point came from Gbadamosi at No. 4 singles, as she posted a 6-2, 6-3 victory. With the win, Gbadamosi moved into a tie for ninth place on the CSU Singles Wins List with 59 career victories.
The Vikings also got singles wins at the top of the lineup from Spindler (6-3, 6-4), the No. 5 spot from Schober (7-6 (6), 6-1) and the No. 3 spot from Golawska (6-3, 7-6 (4)).
Cleveland State will close out its current homestand tomorrow (Saturday, February 11), hosting Niagara at 6:00 p.m. in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
Cleveland State 7, Case Western 0
1. Spindler/Golawska (CSU) def. Kanagasegar/Holladay (CWRU), 6-1
2. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) def. Liu/Cepeda (CWRU), 6-2
3. Gbadamosi/Lenoan (CSU) def. Young/Busch (CWRU), 6-1
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Nithya Kanagasegar (CWRU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Kendal Holladay (CWRU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Jessica Liu (CWRU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
4. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Peyton Young (CWRU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Nina Cepeda (CWRU), 7-6 (6), 6-1
6. Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Katrin Gurvich (CWRU), 6-0, 6-4