CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team continued Horizon League play Saturday morning, picking up a 6-1 victory over Northern Kentucky to stay perfect in league play. The Vikings now stand at 6-7 overall this season and 2-0 in league action.
"This was another good win for us today, I'm always happy to come out of a league weekend with a 2-0 record," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We won another doubles point today, which was great, and I thought as the doubles matches went along we crossed better and moved better on all three courts. We were able to keep the momentum going in singles then, and picked up some solid wins at the top of the lineup against some formidable opponents. We have some things that we need to continue working on in practice over the next week, but I am looking forward to our trip to Michigan next weekend."
For the second time in league play the Vikings were able to pick up the doubles point, getting victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. At the top of the lineup, Isabella Spindler and Aleksandra Golawska posted a 6-3 win, while Mathilde Orange and Princess Gbadamosi earned a 7-5 victory at the No. 2 spot.
The Vikings carried their momentum into singles play then, as they were able to pick up wins at the top five singles spots. Golawska picked up the first singles point after her opponent retired at No. 4 singles, and then Victoria Bensimon quickly added another point with a 6-0, 6-0 win at the No. 5 spot.
The next win came from Gbadamosi at No. 3 singles, as she posted a 6-2, 6-1 victory, while Orange notched a 6-4, 6-1 win at the No. 2 spot. Orange's victory gave her 48 wins for her career, and she is now just two wins shy of becoming the 12th Viking all-time with 50 career singles wins.
The final singles win came from Spindler at the top of the lineup, as she posted a 6-2, 6-3 victory in her first time playing at No. 1 singles.
The Vikings will hit the road for the first time in league play next weekend, traveling to Oakland (Saturday, April 2) and Detroit (Sunday, April 3).
Cleveland State 6, Northern Kentucky 1
1. Spindler/Golawska (CSU) def. Skopac/Donahue (NKU), 6-4
2. Orange/Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Soutar/Shanahan (NKU), 7-5
3. Nellessen/Power (NKU) def. Bensimon/Nix (CSU), 6-4
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Klara Skopac (NKU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Mathilde Orange (CSU) def. Sydney Power (NKU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Danielle Donahue (NKU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Hailey Shanahan (NKU), 0-3, ret.
5. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Sierra Nellessen (NKU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Nicole Soutar (NKU) def. Morgan Nix (CSU), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (3)