ORLANDO, Fla. – The Cleveland State women's tennis team closed out its Spring Break Trip Wednesday afternoon, falling 7-0 to a tough Central Florida squad.
"It was a tough day for us today, although we didn't pick up the win, I thought the team fought hard and really battled against a good UCF team," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "I thought Mathilde played well in defeat, and I'm excited to see what else she can do for us throughout the rest of her senior season. Next week we head into league play, and I think we are in a better place heading into the league slate this year than what we were last year, and I'm looking forward to starting the next phase of our spring season.
Mathilde Orange played the best singles match for the Vikings against Central Florida, pushing her opponent to the brink before falling 7-5, 6-4 at the top of the lineup. Jana Schober also had a competitive match at the No. 6 spot, dropping a tough 6-3, 6-4 singles decision.
Next up for the Vikings will be Horizon League play on Friday, March 25 and Saturday, March 26, as Cleveland State will host Wright State and Northern Kentucky to kick off the league slate.
UCF 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Serrano/Baptista (UCF) vs. Spindler/Golawska (CSU), 4-2, unf.
2. Eberhart/Granstrom (UCF) def. Bensimon/Nix (CSU), 6-1
3. Cesarini/Matias (UCF) def. Orange/Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-2
1. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Mathilde Orange (CSU), 7-5, 6-4
2. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Monica Matias (UCF) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Natalia Serrano (UCF) def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Diana Dehterevich (UCF) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 6-3, 6-4