Contact: Renee Adam
DELAND, Fla. - The Cleveland State women's tennis team concluded their three-match Florida roadswing Tuesday evening, dropping a 7-0 contest at Stetson.
"I thought the women had a good weekend in Florida, today we played a very disciplined Stetson team that didn't give us any free points. The fight was definitely there and we are making small improvements in both doubles and singles when we step onto the court," head coach Brian Etzkinsaid. "The women have been playing improved tennis over the past eight matches, getting better and better. We are definitely ready to start league play, and begin the home stretch of the schedule."
Stetson opened the match with a sweep of the doubles matches, and then added to their lead with five straight set singles victories. Nicole Janek was the lone Viking to force her match to a tiebreaker, picking up a 6-3 win in set one, but falling 3-6 in set two and 10-3 in the tiebreaker.
The Vikings will return to the court on Saturday, March 23 when they travel to Akron, before opening league play on Sunday, March 24 against Detroit.
Stetson 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Sara Lazarevic/Andrea Crespo (STET) def. BUSH, Alex/SHERWOOD, Kara (CSU) 8-4
2. Diana Bukajeva/Jen Miller (STET) def. POWER, Alex/LAZARIS, Maria (CSU) 8-1
3. Lindsey Cable/Eveline Lepinay (STET) def. ORANGE, Mathilde/JANEK, Nicole (CSU) 8-5
1. Andrea Crespo (STET) def. Orange, Mathilde (CSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sara Lazarevic (STET) def. BUSH, Alex (CSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Diana Bukajeva (STET) def. Power, Alex (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Lindsey Cable (STET) def. Sherwood, Kara (CSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Jen Miller (STET) def. Lazaris, Maria (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Eveline Lepinay (STET) def. Janek, Nicole (CSU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-3)