Sep 10, 2017
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cleveland State scored three first half goals en route to a 3-0 win over Niagara on Sunday afternoon at Krenzler Field in the final nonconference match of the season.
NEED TO KNOW
- Score: Cleveland State 3, Niagara 0
- Goal: Jenna Prathapa (2), McKenna Vento
- Assists: Dani Sowinski, Ashley Thiss
- Records: CSU (4-5), Niagara (4-2-1)
- The Vikings took a 1-0 lead just 7:48 in when McKenna Vento scored her second goal in the last three games.
- Dani Sowinski started the play by beating several Niagara defenders before sending a cross into the box where Vento knocked it in.
- At the 22:10 mark, Jenna Prathapa took a pass up the sideline from Ashley Thiss and worked her way just inside the box on the left side before blasting a shot to the far post.
- Prathapa added her second goal of the match just four minutes before halftime and she followed up a Grace Grant shot that was saved, knocking in the rebound.
- For Prathapa, the goals were her team-leading fourth and fifth of the season.
IN THE NET
- Jamie Daniels made three saves for CSU to earn her third shutout of the season.
- CSU's three goals marked a season high.
- The Vikings snapped Niagara's five-match unbeaten streak and handed the Purple Eagles their first loss since the season opener.
- CSU out-shot Niagara, 13-10, and had four shots on goal, three of which found the net.
- The Vikings also had four corner kicks, while Niagara did not attempt any.
- Playing for the third time in the last five days and the fourth time in the last week, head coach Dallas Boyer played 21 players with 18 receiving at least 30 minutes of action.
- CSU opens Horizon League play on Friday (Sept. 15) with a 7:00 pm match at League newcomer IUPUI.