WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Cleveland State women's soccer team dropped its season opener, 2-1, at Howard on Friday night. Katie Bainbridge scored CSU's goal eight minutes into the second half to knot the contest at 1-1, but Howard would net the eventual game-winner with 16 minutes to play.
NEED TO KNOW
• Score: Howard 2, Cleveland State 1
• CSU Goal Scorer: Katie Bainbridge
• CSU Assists: None
• Howard Goal Scorers: Noelle McCullum, Anna Mitchell
• Records: Cleveland State (0-1, 0-0 HL); Howard (1-0, 0-0 MEAC)
• Location: Washington, D.C. (Greene Stadium)
• Howard took a 1-0 lead at the 21:26 mark when Noelle McCullum headed in a corner kick from Sandra Bond.
• The Bison held a 1-0 lead at the half, but the Vikings knotted the contest at 1-1 just eight minutes into the second half on a goal from Katie Bainbridge.
• However, Anna Mitchell netted a goal with 16 minutes to play that proved to be the game-winner.
• CSU had a few chances to tie the match, but could not get the equalizer.
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels played all 90 minutes and made two saves for the Vikings.
• The teams combined for 12 shots with CSU taking seven and Howard five.
• Aliani Lorenzo had two shots for the Vikings, while Marissa Sarsfield, Toni Dickson, Briana Niedermeier, Bainbridge and Stacie Morris all had one shot.
• CSU started five freshmen and three sophomores with KK Smith, Lorenzo, Bianca Sarti, Elaina Walnoha and Niedermeier all starting their first collegiate match.
• The Vikings had seven corner kicks to Howard's two.
• CSU concludes its two-match swing in the nation's capital with a 1:00 pm match at George Washington on Sunday (Aug. 21).