PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• The Vikings will open up the 2015 season this weekend, participating in the BGSU Mel Brodt Collegiate Opener on Friday, September 4.
• Cleveland State returns nine letterwinners from last year's squad, including All-Horizon League Second Team honoree Ashlyn Woods.
• The Vikings start the fall season on Sunday (Sept. 6), playing the first two rounds of the Turning Stone Tiger Intercollegiate.
• CSU has won the last two Horizon League Championships and six of the last 10 overall. The Vikings return seven players from last year's team, including seniors Mitchell Moore and Mike Bishop.
• CSU opens the season at the 36 hole YSU Kickoff on Monday (Aug. 31) at Candywood G.C.
• The Vikings bring back four players from last year's team that placed third at the league championship, led by senior Allyson Hackman who is a two-time first team All-Horizon League selection.
• CSU (0-1) is in action two times this week, playing at Dayton at 7:00 pm on Wednesday (Sept. 2) and at Bowling Green on Sunday (Sept. 6) at 7:00 p.m.
• The Vikings opened the season with a 4-1 setback to Robert Morris on Sunday night.
• Sergio Manesio scored the lone goal for the Vikings on a penalty kick.
• The Vikings (3-0-1) play three matches this week, starting with a 7:00 pm match at Akron on Tuesday (Sept. 1) night.
• CSU also plays against Cornell on Friday (Sept. 4) at 4:00 pm at St. Bonaventure and has a 2:30 pm match at St. Bonaventure on Sunday (Sept. 6).
• The Vikings won a pair of road matches over the weekend, winning at Eastern Kentucky on Friday, 2-1, and shutting out Ohio, 2-0, on Sunday.
• Vickie Havas scored a goal in each game, while Toni Dickson and Elise Sailors also scored goals.
• McKenna Vento had an assist in each game and has dished out an assist in each of CSU's first four games. She is tied for the league lead with four assists.
• The Vikings (3-1) will have a busy week ahead, traveling to Akron for contest on Tuesday, September 1 and then hosting the annual CSU Invitational on Friday and Saturday (Sept. 4-5).
• The 2015 CSU Invitational features Binghamton, Cincinnati, Central Michigan and CSU.
• CSU opened the season over the weekend with a 3-1 record at the Blue Raider Bash, picking up wins over Middle Tennessee (3-0), Indiana (3-2), and Notre Dame (3-2).
• Grace Kauth earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team after notching a team-best 62 kills and 42 digs throughout the two-day tournament.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Alexis Middlebrooks, Volleyball, Junior, Elyria, Ohio
Middlebrooks helped the Vikings to a 3-1 record at the Blue Raider Bash over the weekend, totaling 43 kills and 23 blocks with a .344 hitting percentage. She had 14 kills and nine blocks in a five-set win over Indiana and totaled 10 kills in a victory over Notre Dame.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Allyson Hackman: The women's golf senior begins her final year as the Cleveland State career leader in scoring average at 79.0.
Vickie Havas: The women's soccer senior scored a goal in both of CSU's games last week and now has 18 for her career, one shy of equaling the CSU career record.
McKenna Vento: The women's soccer freshman dished out an assist in each of CSU's wins last week and has an assist in each of the Vikings first four games.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
MONDAY, AUGUST 31
Women's Golf at YSU Kickoff, 8:00 am
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1
Women's Soccer at Akron, 7:00 pm Volleyball at Akron, 7:00 pm
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
Men's Soccer at Dayton, 7:00 pm
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
Women's Soccer vs. Cornell, 4:30 pm
Cross Country at Mel Brodt Invitational, 7:00 pm
Volleyball hosts Central Michigan, 7:00 pm
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
Volleyball hosts Binghamton, 12:30 pm
Volleyball hosts Cincinnati, 7:00 pm
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
Men's Golf at Turning Stone Intercollegiate, All Day
Women's Soccer at St. Bonaventure, 2:00 pm
Men's Soccer at Bowling Green, 7:00 pm