BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's basketball team opened up the 2019-20 campaign Wednesday evening, dropping an 89-62 contest at Bowling Green.
· Wednesday's game marked the 2019-20 season opener.
· Aminata Ly, Taylah Levy, Dana DeGraffenreid, and Julia Hintz were all making their debuts in a Cleveland State uniform.
· The Vikings began their second season under the direction of head coach Chris Kielsmeier.
· Three Vikings finished in double-figure points, led by Mariah Miller with 16. Mariah White added 15 points and Savanna Crockett chipped in 12.
· Savanna Crockett grabbed a team-high 13 rebounds on the game, finishing with her first double-double of the 2019-20 season.
· Mariah White dished out four assists on the game, while Mariah Miller added two.
· As a team, the Vikings recorded seven blocked shots, including two from Nadia Dumas, Mariah Miller and Dana DeGraffenreid.
PDF BOX SCORE: Bowling Green 89, Cleveland State 62
After trailing by 10 at the halftime break, the Viking offense struggled through the opening minutes of the third quarter, as Bowling Green added to its lead with six straight points to gain a 49-33 advantage.
The Vikings were able to put a stop to the Falcon run with a pair of Mariah Miller free throws and a Dana DeGraffenreid three-pointer, to come within 49-38, but another Falcon run extended the lead once again to 54-38 with 4:28 left in the third quarter. Bowling Green was then able to control play during the rest of the frame, taking a 62-50 lead into the final 10 minutes of play.
Over the opening minutes of the fourth quarter the Vikings were able to go on a 6-2 run with a pair of Miller jumpers and a 2-for-2 effort from Mariah White at the free throw line, closing the gap to single digits at 64-56 with just over seven minutes left on the clock. The Falcons responded with a pair of baskets on their next two possessions though, regaining a double-digit lead at 69-56.
Bowling Green then went on to outscore the Vikings 25-6 over the final seven minutes of the game, claiming the 89-62 victory.
The Vikings will have a week off from competition, returning to the court for the 2019-20 home opener, hosting Davis & Elkins on Wednesday, November 13.