CHICAGO, Ill. – The Cleveland State women's basketball team continued Horizon League play Saturday evening, falling at UIC, 80-62. The Vikings are now 4-13 on the season and 1-6 in Horizon League play.
· Three Vikings finished with double-digit points, led by Ashanti Abshaw and Brooke Smith who both tallied 15 points.
· Khayla Livingston was the third Viking to score in double-digits, finishing with 13 points.
· Ashanti Abshaw grabbed a team-high seven rebounds, while Brooke Smith tallied six and Shadae Bosley added five.
· Shadae Bosley tied her career-high with three blocks against UIC.
· As a team, Cleveland State notched 11 steals, with four coming from Ashanti Abshaw.
· The Vikings forced UIC into 21 turnovers, turning those 21 turnovers into 26 points.
· This marked the 13th time that Cleveland State has tallied double-digit steals this season.
After trailing by as many as 18 points at the 30-12 mark early in the second quarter, Cleveland State worked its way back into the game following a 19-6 run over a span of 3:40, closing the gap to five points at the 36-31 mark with 4:04 left to play. The Vikings were then able to go into the halftime break trailing by just five points at 40-35.
The Vikings were able to stay within single digits throughout the majority of the third period then, even closing the gap to just two points multiple times.
After heading into the fourth quarter with UIC up by seven points at 61-54, the Flames were able to extend their lead to double-digits during the opening minutes of the frame and then went on to hold a sizeable lead for the remainder of the contest, coming away with the 80-62 victory.
· Northern Kentucky @ Cleveland State – Thursday, Jan. 28 – 7:00 p.m. – Wolstein Center