CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team picked up its seventh straight win Friday afternoon, earning a 6-1 victory over IUPUI to remain perfect in Horizon League play at 5-0 this season. With the win, the Vikings now stand at 16-7 overall this season.
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 6, IUPUI 1
· Matthew Terry recorded his 50th career singles win with a 6-2, 7-6(3) win at No. 2 singles, becoming the first Viking all-time to reach 50 career singles wins as a sophomore.
· Clark Bilinovich notched his team-leading 27th singles win of the season with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles, and is now tied for sixth on the CSU Single-Season Wins List.
· Friday's win extended Cleveland State's win streak to seven straight matches, while it also put the Vikings at 8-2 in the MMTP this season.
· Cleveland State improved to 5-0 in #HLMTEN play, marking the fourth time under head coach Brian Etzkin that the Vikings have won five straight matches to begin league play.
For the fourth straight match the Vikings were able to pick up the early doubles point, earning matching 6-2 victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Matthew Terry and Luke Phillips improved to 3-1 in league play with their win at the No. 2 spot, while Raul Teichmann and Clark Bilinovich picked up the win for the Vikings at No. 3 doubles.
After winning first sets on five of the six singles courts, the Vikings were able to quickly extend their lead to 3-0 following wins from Benjamin Slade at No. 5 singles and Bilinovich at the No. 6 spot.
Slade, who recorded his 78th career win, posted a 6-0, 6-3 victory at the No. 5 spot, while Bilinovich posted a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles to give the Vikings a 3-0 advantage.
Cleveland State's clinching point came at the No. 3 spot, as Luke Phillips posted a 6-4, 6-4 win to give the Vikings their 16th win of the season.
The Vikings were also able to put points on the board at the top two singles spots, as Nico Mostardi earned a 1-6, 6-1, 6-2 win for his 68th career victory, and Terry posted a 6-2, 7-6(3) win to eclipse the 50-win milestone.
From The Sidelines
"Once again, the doubles point was key for us today, we were able to get off to a great start thanks to our doubles play that continues to be a strong point for us. I thought our intensity was really good throughout the entire match, even when we got down on some courts, we didn't let our intensity or focus drop. I saw a lot of good things throughout the match today, it was especially good to see Raul back in the lineup playing close to the level he was at before he got injured. The crowd support was great today, we had a great showing from our fans and IUPUI had a good crowd which made the entire match energetic. This was a good league win for us, and we will now turn our focus to tomorrow's match against UIC." – head coach Brian Etzkin
· The Vikings will close out the regular season tomorrow (Saturday, April 20), hosting UIC at 10:00 a.m. in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
Doubles (2, 3)
1. Mostardi/Slade (CSU) vs. Jochim/Morehart (IUPUI), 3-4, unf.
2. Terry/Phillips (CSU) def. Luetschwager/Whittaker, 6-2
3. Teichmann/Bilinovich (CSU) def. Budiono/Bailey (IUPUI), 6-2
Singles (5, 6, 3, 2, 1, 4)
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Alex Jochim (IUPUI), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Sean Bailey (IUPUI), 6-2, 7-6(3)
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Colton Morehart (IUPUI), 6-4, 6-4
4. Ethan Mardanus-Budiono (IUPUI) def. Raul Teichmann (CSU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0(7)
5. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI), 6-0, 6-3
6. Clark Bilinovich (CSU) def. Bradley Luetschwager (IUPUI), 6-2, 6-3