CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team extended its winstreak to four matches Sunday, picking up a pair of 7-0 sweeps against St. Bonaventure and Oberlin. The Vikings now stand at 6-4 overall this spring.
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 7, St. Bonaventure 0
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 7, Oberlin 0
· With his two singles wins on Sunday, Benjamin Slade became the eighth Viking all-time to reach the 70-win milestone.
· The Vikings swept the doubles points on the day, and have now gotten out to the early 1-0 lead in four straight matches.
· Nico Mostardi picked up a win at No. 1 singles against St. Bonaventure, picking up his 58th career win and moving within two victories of earning a spot in the top-10 on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· Matthew Terry notched a singles win against St. Bonaventure at the No. 2 spot, and is now just seven wins shy of becoming the 15th Viking all-time to reach 50 career wins.
From The Sidelines
On the St. Bonaventure Match…
"I thought we were pretty focused on all six singles courts today, and we definitely keep making strides in our doubles play. I thought we had some good opportunities to focus on close-out moments, especially in some second sets when the Bonnies made a little push to force some tight spots that we were able to close out."
On the Oberlin Match…
"This was a solid team effort, it was great to be able to use the whole team in the depth of our lineup tonight. There were a couple tight spots in some first sets in singles, but we pushed through and focused on what we needed to do. Credit to both teams for playing hard against us today and pushing us in doubles and singles."
On the Weekend…
"Overall this was a great weekend for us with three solid wins. It was also nice to have a lot of alums back in town for Alumni Weekend, and having Phil Orno – one of the CSU tennis greats – inducted into the CSU Hall of Fame was awesome. It was definitely a weekend to remember, and great weekend to be part of Cleveland State Tennis." – Head Coach Brian Etzkin
· Cleveland State will look to extend their winstreak with a pair of matches at the MMTP next weekend, hosting Ball State (Friday, February 22) and Michigan (Sunday, February 24).
The Results: St. Bonaventure
Doubles (1, 3)
1. Mostardi/Slade (CSU) def. Patwardhan/Zovko (SBU), 6-2
2. Malm/Phillips (CSU) vs. Rutkowski/Estevarena (SBU), 2-5, unf.
3. Santilli/Bilinovich (CSU) def. Malmberg/Rivolo (SBU), 6-2
Singles (3, 1, 6, 4, 2, 5)
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Indra Patwardhan (SBU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Martin Estevarena (SBU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Lukas Malmberg (SBU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. John Rutkowski (SBU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Raul Teichmann (CSU) def. Marco Rivolo (SBU), 6-1, 7-6(4)
6. Clark Bilinovich (CSU) def. Logan D'Angelo (SBU), 6-0, 7-6(2)
The Results: Oberlin
Doubles (2, 1, 3)
1.Mostardi/Phillips (CSU) def. Dill/Cohen (OC), 6-1
2.Slade/Terry (CSU) def. Gittings/Vaughn (OC), 6-1
3.Malm/Teichmann (CSU) def. Nuss/Topper (OC), 6-2
Singles (4, 6, 1, 3, 5, 2)
1. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Zachary Vaughn (OC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Camron Cohen (OC), 6-2, 6-1
3. Raul Teichmann (CSU) def. Elliot Nuss (OC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Clark Bilinovich (CSU) def. Sam Topper (OC), 6-0, 6-0
5. William Malm (CSU) def. James Dill (OC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Jack Santilli (CSU) def. Matthew Gittings (OC), 6-0, 6-0