INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team continued its spring season Saturday afternoon, dropping a 5-2 match at Butler. The Vikings now stand at 2-4 after the first three weeks of the 2019 spring campaign.
PDF BOX SCORE | Butler 5, Cleveland State 2
· Cleveland State's two points on the day came from wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 singles spots.
· Matthew Terry earned a 7-5, 3-6, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles, marking his 40th career singles win.
· Matthew Terry now has a team-high 12 singles wins this season, one of four Vikings with double-digit victories on the year.
· Luke Phillips picked up his third straight win at No. 3 singles – all of which have come as three-set decisions – with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 come-from-behind victory.
· Saturday's match marked the sixth of a seven-match roadswing that the Vikings are opening the 2019 spring season with.
From The Sidelines
"This was a good college tennis match today, we had chances throughout the match, but we just couldn't capitalize on those chances. Playing on four courts puts a different spin on matches, and this led to multiple momentum swings throughout the match, but we just weren't able to find one final momentum shift to close out the match."
"Matt had a good bounce back day today, beating a solid opponent to get us on the board after struggling in his match yesterday. Luke is getting himself battle tested early on this year, which is great for us, as he pulled out another three-set win to continue a string of hard fought victories." – Head Coach Brian Etzkin
· Cleveland State will close out its seven-match roadswing at Duquesne next weekend, taking on the Dukes at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 10.
Doubles (2, 1)
1. Dragos/Dickson (BUT) def. Mostardi/Slade (CSU), 6-4
2. Ben Shabat/Mag (BUT) def. Phillips/Malm (CSU), 6-1
3. Brennan/Lang (BUT) vs. Terry/Teichmann (CSU), 5-2, unf.
Singles (4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6)
1. Mason Dragos (BUT) def. #113 Nico Mostardi (CSU), 6-2, 1-6, 7-6
2. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Michael Dickson (BUT), 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Aviv Ben Shabat (BUT), 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Thomas Brennan (BUT) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Ryan Roegner (BUT) def. Raul Teichmann (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Spencer Lang (BUT) def. Clark Bilinovich (CSU), 6-3, 6-4