COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team opened up the 2019 spring season Sunday, traveling to No. 2 Ohio State for a doubleheader. The Vikings dropped both matches against the nationally ranked Buckeyes, falling in the first match 5-0 and the second match 4-0.
• This marked the third straight season that the Vikings opened their dual match season at Ohio State, and the second year that the Buckeyes were ranked No. 2 nationally.
• Ohio State was the first of two opponents to be ranked in the top-25 in the Oracle/ITA Preseason Rankings for the Vikings (Michigan).
• Luke Phillips played a pair of unfinished matches on the day, putting up tough battles against a pair of ranked opponents in Kyle Seelig (No. 13) and Tim Seibert (No. 87).
• During the second match of the day, junior Nico Mostardi was up a set and tied 3-3 in the second set against Kyle Seelig – the 13th ranked singles player in the country.
From The Sidelines
"I thought we had some really good battles today, and we got to push ourselves against a very talented team in Ohio State which is a great way to see where you stand this early in the spring season. When we were presented the opportunity to play twice in one day, everyone was excited to get on the court again, and I thought it worked out well for both teams being able to mix up the lineups, including for our doubles teams during the second match of the day. The highlight for us was Nico playing at No. 1 singles, as he was able to really take control of his match against a top-15 player in the second matchup of the day. We are always hoping for a win every time we step on the court, but despite the outcome, we were still able to improve throughout the day and spot some things that we will work on moving forward into the spring season." – Head Coach Brian Etzkin
Cleveland State will continue its season-opening six-match roadswing next weekend, traveling to Penn (Friday, January 25) and Temple (Saturday, January 26).
Match #1 Results
Doubles (1, 3)
1. Wolf/Joyce (OSU) def. Terry/Teichmann (CSU), 6-1
2. Kobelt/Trotter (OSU) vs. Phillips/Malm (CSU), 5-4, unf.
3. McNally/Tubert (OSU) def. Mostardi/Santilli (CSU), 6-2
Singles (1, 4, 5, 6)
1. #3 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #113 Nico Mostardi (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. #36 John McNally (OSU) vs. Matthew Terry (CSU), 6-1, 3-3, unf.
3. #13 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Luke Phillips (CSU), 6-4, 3-0, unf.
4. #122 James Trotter (OSU) def. Raul Teichmann (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Clark Bilinovich (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
Match #2 Results
Doubles (1, 3)
1. #9 Joyce/Tubert (OSU) def. Mostardi/Teichmann (CSU), 6-0
2. Wolf/Kobelt (OSU) vs. Phillips/Malm (CSU), 4-2, unf.
3. McNally/Seelig (OSU) def. Terry/Bilinovich (CSU), 6-0
Singles (6, 2, 4)
1. #113 Nico Mostardi (CSU) vs. #13 Kyle Seelig (OSU), 6-3, 3-3, unf.
2. #36 John McNally (OSU) def. Matthew Terry (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
3. #87 Tim Seibert (OSU) vs. Luke Phillips (CSU), 6-2, 4-3, unf.
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Raul Teichmann (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Alex Kobelt (OSU) vs. Clark Bilinovich (CSU), 6-1, 4-3, unf.
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Jack Santilli (CSU), 6-0, 6-0