CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team wrapped up an excellent home slate during the 2018 spring season Sunday, picking up a 7-0 victory over Northern Kentucky.
From The Sidelines
"This was a great team win to cap off banquet weekend for us, I thought the entire team was locked in throughout singles and doubles, and seeing how well Northern Kentucky competed yesterday I thought that was crucial. Now we will turn our attention to our last two league matches next weekend, and look to head into the league tournament with a few more wins under our belt." – Head coach Brian Etzkin
· 2018 Record: 13-10, 4-1
· With his win at No. 4 singles, Benjamin Slade picked up his 57th career win, and is now just one win shy of earning a spot on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· After picking up wins against NKU, Nico Mostardi, Matthew Terry and Luke Phillips all moved into the top-10 on the CSU Single-Season Wins List, finishing the weekend with 24 singles wins on the year.
· The Vikings finished the 2018 spring season with an 11-1 record in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion, including a perfect 4-0 record against league opponents.
· Cleveland State has now won two straight matches and four of its last six.
· This marked Cleveland State's first win over Northern Kentucky in the all-time series.
· The Vikings picked up the early doubles point for the fourth time during Horizon League play Sunday, picking up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Luke Phillips and William Malm earned a 6-1 win at the No. 2 spot, while Matthew Terry and Jack Santilli posted a 6-3 win at No. 3 doubles.
· Benjamin Slade picked up the first singles win on the day, cruising to a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles. Slade, who has won six of his last seven matches, improved to 21-12 overall this season and 15-6 this spring. Slade is also undefeated in Horizon League play, standing at 5-0.
· Nico Mostardi put the Vikings up 3-0 with a quick 6-1, 6-0 victory at the top of the lineup, improving to 24-7 overall this year. Mostardi is now 12-3 this spring, and 4-1 against league opponents.
· Matthew Terry picked up the clinching point for the Vikings, earning a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles. Terry is now 24-11 this year and 12-8 this spring, including a 4-1 record in Horizon League play.
· William Malm picked up his second singles win on the weekend with a 7-5, 6-0 victory at No. 6 singles, improving to 10-10 on the year.
· The final singles win came from Luke Phillips at No. 3 singles, as he posted a 6-3, 6-4 victory. Phillips improved to 24-11 overall this year and 14-7 this spring. Phillips also remained undefeated in league play, owning a 5-0 record against league opponents.
· Cleveland State will close out the regular season with a two-match roadswing next weekend, traveling to IUPUI on Saturday, April 21 and UIC on Sunday, April 22.
1. Mostardi/Slade (CSU) vs. Carr/Niehaus (NKU), 5-4, unf.
2. Phillips/Malm (CSU) def. Hidalgo/Rodriquez (NKU), 6-1
3. Terry/Santilli (CSU) def. Murray/Bosch (NKU), 6-3
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Andrew Niehaus (NKU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Jorge Rodriguez (NKU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Blaine Carr (NKU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Chris Murray (NKU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU) def. Felipe Hidalgo (NKU), 7-6(4), 6-0
6. William Malm (CSU) def. Anthony Bosch (NKU), 7-5, 6-0