CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team got back in the win column Saturday, earning a 6-1 victory over Wright State.
From The Sidelines
"This was a grind out win today, Wright State competed very well, but we were able to come away with a solid conference win. I thought we started out a little slow in doubles – and even on some courts in singles – but we were able to rally in both and pick up some solid wins. We are now looking to improve our play tomorrow against NKU, and hopefully close out a successful banquet weekend." – Head coach Brian Etzkin
· 2018 Record: 12-10, 3-1
· Cleveland State improved to 10-1 when playing at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion this season.
· The Vikings are now 16-3 all-time against Wright State.
· With his win at No. 4 singles, Benjamin Slade notched his 20th win of the season, becoming the fourth Viking to achieve the feat this year.
· Benjamin Slade also recorded his 56th career win, and is now just two wins shy of earning a spot on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· The Vikings picked up the doubles point for the third time during league play Saturday, as Matthew Terry and Jack Santilli picked up a 6-2 win at No. 3 doubles and Nico Mostardi and Benjamin Slade earned a 7-5 win at the top spot.
· Luke Phillips picked up Cleveland State's first singles point on the day, earning a 6-0, 6-3 victory at No. 3 singles. Phillips is now 23-11 overall this year and 13-7 this spring. Phillips also remained undefeated in Horizon League play, improving to 4-0 at No. 3 singles.
· Cleveland State's second singles win came at the top of the lineup, as Nico Mostardi notched a 6-3, 6-4 victory, improving to 23-7 on the year. Mostardi, who is now 11-3 this spring, improved to 3-1 against league opponents.
· William Malm posted the clinching point for the Vikings at No. 6 singles, as he posted a 7-5, 6-3 victory. With the win, Malm improved to 7-5 this spring.
· Benjamin Slade picked up the next point for the Vikings, earning a 6-4, 7-6(5) victory at No. 4 singles. Slade, who picked up his fifth win out of the last six matches, improved to 20-12 overall and 14-6 this spring – a team-best mark. Slade also owns a perfect 4-0 record against league opponents.
· Gabriel Evtimov picked up the final singles win on the day, earning a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(2) victory at No. 5 singles.
· Cleveland State will host Northern Kentucky tomorrow (Sunday, April 15), in its final home match of the 2018 spring season.
1. Mostardi/Slade (CSU) def. Pun/Ueltzhoeffer (WSU), 7-5
2. Phillips/Malm (CSU) vs. Towers/De La Villa (WSU), 6-5, unf.
3. Terry/Santilli (CSU) def. Sanchez/Nardelli (WSU), 6-2
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Fernando Nardelli (WSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Param Pun (WSU) def. Matthew Terry (CSU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Javier Alvarez De La Villa (WSU), 6-0, 6-3
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Marcel Ueltzhoeffer (WSU), 6-4, 7-6(5)
5. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU) def. Donovan Cellupica-Towers (WSU), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(2)
6. William Malm (CSU) def. Carlos Estrada Sanchez (WSU), 7-5, 6-3