CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team got back on the winning track in its first match of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, picking up a 7-0 victory against Bucknell.
From The Sidelines
"I thought we played well in doubles today, which really created some momentum for us heading into singles. We take pride in earning the doubles point and really work hard on trying to improve our doubles play match-after-match. It was a workman-like effort in singles today, and I thought we handled all of the tight moments in the first sets, which led to us being able to play free in the second sets. This was a good team victory for us today, and it was good to improve on our result from last year." – Head coach Brian Etzkin
· 2018 Record: 6-4
· With their win at No. 1 doubles against Bucknell, Mirko Radosevic and Benjamin Slade are now tied for sixth on the CSU Doubles Wins List with 23 career wins as a doubles team.
· The Vikings improved to 6-1 when playing in the MMTP this season.
· This was the third meeting between the two teams, with Cleveland State now owning a 2-1 record in the overall series.
· Cleveland State picked up the doubles point for the sixth time this season, earning wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. At the top of the lineup, Mirko Radosevic and Benjamin Slade notched a 6-3 win, while Luke Phillips and William Malm tallied a 6-4 victory at the No. 2 spot.
· Matthew Terry picked up his first collegiate win at No. 1 singles against Bucknell, earning a 6-2, 6-0 victory. Terry improved to 5-4 this spring and 17-7 overall this year.
· Mirko Radosevic picked up Cleveland State's second singles point, earning a 6-3, 6-0 victory at the No. 5 spot. With the win, Radosevic is now just six wins shy of earning a spot on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· Gabriel Evtimov clinched the match for the Vikings with a win at No. 3 singles, earning a 6-1, 6-2 victory.
· Benjamin Slade and William Malm picked up the next two singles points for the Vikings, Slade with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles and Malm with a 6-4, 6-3 win at the No. 6 spot. Malm is now 4-1 this spring, while Slade notched his 48th career victory and is just two wins shy of becoming the 12th Viking all-time with 50 career wins.
· The final singles point came from Luke Phillips at the No. 2 spot, as he posted a 7-5, 6-1 victory for his 16th singles win of the year. Phillips has now won four straight singles matches and stands at 6-3 this spring.
1. Slade/Radosevic (CSU) def. Gerber/Wright (BUCK), 6-3
2. Phillips/Malm (CSU) def. Kane/Erskine (BUCK), 6-4
3. Santilli/Terry (CSU) vs. McDonald/Vitiuc (BUCK), 4-4, unf.
1. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Daniel Wright (BUCK), 6-2, 6-0
2. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Andrei Vitiuc (BUCK), 7-5, 6-1
3. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU) def. Max Kane (BUCK), 6-1, 6-2
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Max McDonald (BUCK), 6-4, 6-2
5. Mirko Radosevic (CSU) def. Ben Gerber (BUCK), 6-3, 6-0
6. William Malm (CSU) def. Colin Sacco (BUCK), 6-4, 6-3