CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team dropped a hard fought match Saturday afternoon, falling at Ball State, 4-3.
From The Sidelines
"Overall this was a good college tennis match today, coming right down to the wire, and we just didn't close out all of the opportunities that we had. This was the first doubles point that we have lost in the last six matches, which came back to hurt us in the end. A lot of credit goes to the top half of our singles lineup for getting the job done and putting us in a position to win, and despite some chances throughout the bottom part of the lineup we just couldn't pull out the final point that we needed. We are a young team, and we are going to get some unexpected wins and unexpected losses because of that, but we just have to use this to push ourselves forward and focus on the next match." – Head Coach Brian Etzkin
· 2018 Record: 5-3
· Saturday's loss snapped a five-match winstreak for the Vikings.
· Nico Mostardi kept his singles record perfect this spring, improving to 7-0 at the top of the lineup.
· Luke Phillips picked up his second straight singles win, giving Cleveland State its first point of the day with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles. Phillips, who owns a 3-1 record at the No. 3 spot this spring, stands at 14-7 in singles play this year.
· Cleveland State's next point came from Nico Mostardi at No. 1 singles, as he picked up another straight set victory in a 6-3, 6-4 decision at the top of the lineup. Mostardi, who has now won 12 straight matches, owns a team-best 19-4 record on the year.
· Matthew Terry picked up the final point of the day for the Vikings, notching a 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 2 singles. Terry now owns a 4-3 record during dual match play at No. 2 singles, and stands at 16-6 overall this year.
· Cleveland State will return home for three matches next weekend, hosting Butler on Friday, February 16 and Bucknell and John Carroll on Sunday, February 18.
1. N. Guzina/De Negri (BSU) def. Slade/Radosevic (CSU), 6-2
2. M. Guzina/Andersen (BSU) def. Mostardi/Terry (CSU), 6-3
3. Malm/Phillips (CSU) vs. Adams/Carney (BSU), 4-2, unf.
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Marko Guzina (BSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Nemanja Guzina (BSU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Thibault De Negri (BSU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Connor Andersen (BSU) def. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU), 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-5
5. Chirs Adams (BSU) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 7-6(2), 6-3
6. Byrce Bonin (BSU) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(3)