CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team won its fourth straight match Saturday morning, picking up a 4-3 victory against Northern Illinois at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
From The Sidelines
"This was a tough matchup today, I think we beat a good, deep team in Northern Illinois, and this team continues to take small steps forward each match and the growth is exciting to see. Once again we were able to get the crucial doubles point, this time coming from behind to get the point with some strong play from Mirko and Ben. Ben carried this momentum over to his singles court then, as he continued to bring his energy and get the win. William once again stepped up big when he was inserted into the singles lineup, and Nico was able to come back from down 0-5 to win 11 straight games to pick up the clincher for us."
· 2018 Record: 4-2
· The Vikings improved to 4-0 when playing in the MMTP this season.
· Nico Mostardi picked up his fifth straight singles win this spring.
· Benjamin Slade notched his 46th career singles win, and is now just four wins shy of reaching the 50-win milestone.
· The Vikings have now picked up the doubles point in all four of their wins this spring.
· With their win at No. 1 doubles against NIU, Benjamin Slade and Mirko Radosevic now rank seventh on the CSU Doubles Wins List with 22 career wins as a tandem.
· Cleveland State now owns a 3-1 record against Northern Illinois in dual match play.
· Cleveland State picked up the once again crucial doubles point against Northern Illinois, earning wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. At the top of the lineup, Benjamin Slade and Mirko Radosevic earned a 7-6 (5) victory, while Luke Phillips and William Malm combined for a 6-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
· The first singles win of the day came from William Malm at No. 6 singles, as he won by retirement with a 1-6, 6-0, 2-0 score. Malm is now 2-0 this spring, and 4-5 overall this season.
· Benjamin Slade picked up Cleveland State's third point on the day, earning a 6-3, 6-3 straight set victory at No. 3 singles to notch his fourth straight win. This spring, Slade is 4-1 in singles play, and is now one of four Vikings with double-digit wins on the year, standing at 10-7.
· The Vikings' clinching point came at the top of the lineup from Nico Mostardi, as he notched a 7-5, 6-1 victory. Mostardi now owns a team-best 17-4 singles record this season, and has picked up all five of his wins this spring in straight sets.
1. Slade/Radosevic (CSU) def. Marbach/Ortega (NIU), 7-6(5)
2. Schweiger/Lundkvist (NIU) def. Mostardi/Terry (CSU), 6-2
3. Phillips/Malm (CSU) def. Hjertonsson/Hamel (NIU), 6-4
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Eric Marbach (NIU), 7-5, 6-1
2. Kristopher Ortega (NIU) def. Matthew Terry (CSU), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (9)
3. George Lundkvist (NIU) def. Luke Phillips (CSU), 7-6(7), 6-4
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Tom Hjertonsson (NIU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Louis-Philippe Hamel (NIU) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. William Malm (CSU) def. Victor Spolidorio (NIU), 1-6, 6-0, 2-0, retired