CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team picked up its third victory in as many matches Sunday evening, earning a 6-1 victory over Oberlin to improve to 3-0 in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion this season.
From The Sidelines
"This was a great weekend for us - posting a 3-0 record in our home facility in front of great crowds was an awesome way to start the home slate. We used the full depth of our lineup against Oberlin in the second match today, which was good to get everyone some tennis and even challenge some people by putting them higher in the lineup than they are used to. We were able to take care of business, and we have a good feeling moving into next week's matches." – Head Coach Brian Etzkin
· 2018 Record: 3-2
· The Vikings picked up the doubles point for the third straight match.
· Benjamin Slade picked up his 45th career victory, closing in on becoming the 13th Viking all-time to reach the 50-win milestone.
· Cleveland State owns a 3-0 record in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion this season.
· The Vikings now own a perfect 4-0 record against Oberlin.
· Cleveland State's first point of the match came in doubles, as the Vikings swept all three doubles matches. At the top of the lineup, Benjamin Slade and Mirko Radosevic earned a 6-1 win, while Luke Phillips and William Malm picked up a 6-3 win at No. 2 doubles, and Gabriel Evtimov and Jack Santilli notched a 6-2 victory at the No. 3 spot.
· Nico Mostardi picked up Cleveland State's first singles point, cruising to a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 1 singles. Mostardi is now a perfect 4-0 this spring, and owns a team-best 16-4 singles record this season.
· Cleveland State's next point came at No. 5 singles from William Malm, as he posted a 6-0, 6-4 victory for his first singles win of the spring season.
· The clinching point for the Vikings came from Benjamin Slade at the No. 3 spot, as he won his third match of the weekend in a 6-1, 6-4 decision. For the spring, Slade is now 3-1.
· Jack Santilli picked up the next singles win for the Vikings, earning a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 6 singles in his first appearance in the singles lineup this spring.
· Cleveland State's final singles point came at the No. 4 spot, as Mirko Radosevic earned a 7-6 (4), 6-4 victory for his first win of the spring season.
· Cleveland State will stay at home for a doubleheader on Saturday, February 3, hosting Northern Illinois (10:00 a.m.) and Case Western Reserve (6:00 p.m.)
1.Slade/Radosevic (CSU) def. Manickam/R. Gittings (OBC), 6-1
2.Phillips/Malm (CSU) def. Drougas/Gruppuso (OBC), 6-3
3.Evtimov/Santilli (CSU) def. M. Gittings/Kimmel (OBC), 6-2
1.Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Michael Drougas (OBC), 6-0, 6-0
2.Stephen Gruppuso (OBC) def. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU), 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (6)
3.Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Manickam Manickam (OBC), 6-1, 6-4
4.Mirko Radosevic (CSU) def. Zachary Vaughn (OBC), 7-6 (4), 6-4
5.William Malm (CSU) def. Robert Gittings (OBC), 6-0, 6-4
6.Jack Santilli (CSU) def. Levi Kimmel (OBC), 6-4, 6-1