GREEN BAY, Wis – The Cleveland State men's tennis team dropped its second Horizon League contest of the season Saturday afternoon, falling to league-leading Green Bay, 6-1. The loss drops the Vikings to 13-7 overall this season and 2-2 in league play.
"I thought we came out sharp in doubles today and were able to pick up the early point, but we unfortunately weren't able to carry that into singles play," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We dropped a couple quick matches to get down 2-1, and then despite battling back on the other four courts to force third sets we weren't able to close any of them out. We were definitely fighting hard on all courts today, and putting up some good battles which leads me to believe that we would be able to come out on the other end if we were to play them again this season."
Cleveland State's lone point against the Phoenix came after doubles action, as the Vikings picked up wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. Ali Shabib and Nolan Marks tallied their sixth straight doubles win with a 6-3 decision, improving to 12-3 overall this season and holding on to a perfect 4-0 record in Horizon League action. At No. 2 doubles, Manuel Bellutti and Mirko Radosevic picked up a quick 6-1 victory, improving to 13-8 overall this season.
Despite dropping their singles matches, Joe VanMeter (No. 1), Jorg van der Vloet (No. 2), Bellutti (No. 3), and Radosevic (No. 5) were able to force their matches into three sets – all four of which battled back to pick up wins in the second sets.
The Vikings will now face their final non-league opponent of the 2015 spring season tomorrow (Sunday, April 12), facing Marquette at 3:00 p.m. EST.
Green Bay 6, Cleveland State 1
- Shabib/Marks (CSU) def. Tenzer/Kraenzler (GB), 6-3
- Bellutti/Radosevic (CSU) def. Scott/Leto (GB), 6-1
- VanMeter/van der Vloet (CSU) vs. Gomez Islinger/Tebon (GB), 4-5, unf
- Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Joe VanMeter (CSU), 6-2, 5-7, 6-0
- L. Gomez Islinger (GB) def. Jorg van der Vloet (CSU), 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
- Howard Scott (GB) def. Manuel Bellutti (CSU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
- Florian Kraenzler (GB) def. Ali Shabib (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
- Joshua Schramm (GB) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
- Joel Leto (GB) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-2, 6-3