AURORA, Ohio - The Cleveland State men's golf team shot a final round 287 and went on to win a playoff with Oakland to win the CSU Invitational on Tuesday at Barrington CC.
The Vikings, who were in third place after Monday's first two rounds, fired a one-under-par today and won the playoff with four pars on the 18th hole. Oakland made three pars and a bogey.
At the conclusion of the tournament, head coach Steve Weir and the men's golf players presented longtime CSU Associate Athletics Director Tom Tontimonia - who is retiring on Oct. 31 after 38 years at CSU - with a framed golf flag in appreciation of his service to CSU and the golf program. In addition, Weir announced that the tournament will be renamed the Tom Tontimonia Invitational beginning in 2018.
- Senior Joey Krecic made eight birdies today to shoot a five-under-par 67, the low round of the day and tied for the low round of the tournament. He finished in fourth place with a 218 total (73-78-67).
- His 2.75 average on the par three's today was tops in the field. He was also tops in the field with a 4.25 (-3) average on the par five's, while his 3.90 average on the par four's was second best.
- Junior Anton Krecic was CSU's top finisher for the fourth time in as many tournaments this fall, carding a 54 hole total of 217. He fired a two-under-par 70 today, finishing one shot ahead of his older brother at 217 (72-75-70).
He played the par four's in one-under-par (3.90) today, second lowest in the field and tied for the lead in par three scoring at 2.75.
- Junior Nick Infanti posted a top-10 finish as he placed ninth with a 223 total. Infanti carded rounds of 75-71-77.
- The Vikings entered the final round nine shots behind Appalachian State and five shots behind Oakland.
- CSU's 287 today was the lowest round of the tournament.
- CSU blistered the par five's on the course today, playing them in six-under-par (4.68), while also playing the par three's in even par.
- It was the first tournament win for the Vikings since the 2017 Horizon League Championship and first in-season tournament victory since the Vikings claimed the Wildcat Invitational in 2016 (March 28-29)