2018-19 SAAC BOARD MEMBERS
President: MacJilton Lewis, Men's Swimming
Social Events Chair: Rayna Oosterhuis, Women's Golf
Social Media Chair: Zach Robbins, Men's Golf
Community Service Chair: Elaina Walnoha, Women's Soccer
Student-Athlete Engagement Chair: Justin Conner, Men's Lacrosse
Advisor & Life Skills Specialist: Lisa Hehman
Formed as a voice for CSU student-athletes, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee has successfully served not only the participants in intercollegiate athletics at CSU but by creating a tie between Cleveland State and the community.
SAAC was developed by the CSU athletic department to:
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
- Disseminate information.
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues.
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletics teams.
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA legislation.
- Organize community service efforts.
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
Student-athletes from all 16 of Cleveland State's varsity sports were named to the SAAC this year. The group is charged with discussing ongoing issues at CSU and around the country pertaining to intercollegiate athletics and the lives of student-athletes. The group meets monthly to share their views on different topics and legislation in front of the NCAA. The board also meets monthly with the Director of Athletics to keep abreast of issues pertaining to the athletic department.
CSU student-athletes, through an initiative organized by SAAC, annually help countless people in Northeast Ohio.
Some of the volunteer work performed by CSU student-athletes includes speaking engagements at area grade, middle and high schools, passing out gifts during the holidays to families suffering through poor circumstances and they adopted the students at Marion-Sterling Elementary School for a "Big Vikes-Little Vikes" program.