PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• CSU (4-7) plays four games over the next two weeks, starting with a 1:00 pm contest against Bowling Green on Wednesday (Dec. 23) in the Wolstein Center.
• The Vikings also host Cedarville on Tuesday (Dec. 29) and open Horizon League play with games at Oakland (Jan. 2 at 3:00 pm) and Detroit (Jan. 4 at 7:30 pm).
• CSU won a pair of games last week, earning a 60-54 win at Loyola (Ill.) on Wednesday and a 67-65 victory over Belmont at home on Saturday.
• Daniel Levitt hit four three-pointers for 12 points in the victory at Loyola as head coach Gary Waters earned his 350th career win.
• Demonte Flannigan tallied 16 points and eight rebounds in the win over Belmont, hitting the game-winning shot with a left-handed hook shot off the glass with 1.8 seconds left.
• Cleveland State (3-6) concludes play in the Tulane Invitational when the Vikings play UNC-Greensboro at 4:00 pm ET on Monday (Dec. 21).
• The Vikings split a pair of games last week, defeating FIU, 64-57, at home on Tuesday and falling to St. Louis, 76-65, in the first game of the Tulane Invitational on Sunday (Dec. 20) afternoon.
• Olivia Voskuhl led three Vikings in double-figures – posting a career-high 18 points on a 5-for-9 performance from the field (including a 3-for-4 effort from three-point) in the win over FIU.
• The game against FIU was dubbed Health & Physical Education day with more than 1,500 kids in attendance cheering on the Vikings.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (4-2) are out of action until CSU competes in its annual Holiday Invitational on Jan. 9 before hosting UIC (Jan. 15) and Wright State (Jan. 16) in Horizon League duals.
• CSU closed out the 2015 calendar year with a 145.5-96.5 win at Canisius on Friday.
• MacJilton Lewis was the only 1,000 Free competitor to boast a time under 10:00, finishing in first-place with a 9:59.60.
• Philipp Sikatzki won the 200 Fly (1:52.52), beating the runner-up by more than five seconds.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (3-6) is out of action until CSU competes in its annual Holiday Invitational on Jan. 9 before hosting UIC (Jan. 15) and Wright State (Jan. 16) in Horizon League duals.
• The Vikings finished the 2015 portion of their schedule with a 153-90 win at Canisius on Friday.
• Claudia Zido (10:45.43), Bethany Robertson (10:51.23) and Jodi Turk (10:58.45) finished first, second and third respectively in the 1,000 freestyle.
• Molly McNamara continued her strong season, winning the 200 IM with a time of 2:12.69.
• The Vikings (4-4, 0-1 EWL) return to action at the Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Jan. 1-2.
• CSU dropped its EWL opener on Saturday in Woodling Gym, 25-10, to Edinboro.
• Sam Wheeler improved to 16-3 this season with a 9-4 win at 197 pounds, while Alfredo Gray (133 pounds) and Jacob Worthington (184) also earned wins.
• Worthington picked up a 16-6 major decision in his match.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Molly McNamara, Women’s Swimming, Freshman, Cranebrook, Australia
McNamara helped lead the Vikings to a 153-90 win over Canisius on Friday, winning three events. In the opening event of the meet, she was part of CSU’s 200 medley relay team that earned a first place finish by more than three seconds. McNamara then went on to win the 200 IM (2:12.69) and the 500 freestyle (5:12.62).
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Ashanti Abshaw: The women’s basketball freshman scored a career-high 25 points in CSU’s first game at the Tulane Invitational against St. Louis on Sunday.
Demonte Flannigan: The men’s basketball junior hit the game-winning shot against Belmont with 1.8 seconds left to give CSU a 67-65 win. He had 16 points and 8 boards.
Jacob Worthington: The freshman wrestler had an impressive showing in CSU’s dual against Edinboro on Saturday, earning a 16-6 major decision at 184 pounds.
MONDAY, DECEMBER 21
Women’s Basketball vs. UNCG, 4:00 pm
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 23
Men’s Basketball hosts Bowling Green, 1:00 pm
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 29
Men’s Basketball hosts Cedarville, 7:00 pm
FRIDAY, JANUARY 1
Wrestling at Southern Scuffle, 9:00 am
SATURDAY, JANUARY 2
Wrestling at Southern Scuffle, 9:00 am
Women’s Basketball at Oakland, 12:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at Oakland, 3:00 pm
MONDAY, JANUARY 4
Women’s Basketball at Detroit, 5:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at Detroit, 7:30 pm