PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• CSU (2-7) returns to action with two games this week, traveling to Loyola (Ill.) for an 8:00 pm ET game on Wednesday (Dec. 16) and hosting Belmont at 1:00 pm on Saturday (Dec. 19) in the Wolstein Center.
• After taking final exams last week, the Vikings played their lone game on Saturday at Quicken Loans Arena, falling to Ohio, 76-67.
• Andre Yates and Rob Edwards both set career-highs in scoring with 17 points, while the Vikings hit a season-high 10 three-pointers.
• Edwards leads the team in scoring with 12.2 points per game, while Demonte Flannigan is posting 10.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game and Yates is averaging 9.9 points per night.
• Cleveland State (2-5) will have one of its busiest stretches of the season this week, playing three games over a six-day span.
• The Vikings will open this stretch on Tuesday, December 15 when they host FIU at 11:00 a.m. in the second annual Health & Physical Education Day.
• CSU will then travel to New Orleans, La. for the Tulane Classic, facing Saint Louis on Sunday, December 20 before taking on Tulane or UNC Greensboro on Monday, December 21.
• Ashanti Abshaw, who was the Horizon League Freshman of the Week last week, led the Vikings at Toledo on Saturday with 18 points and nine rebounds. For the season, Abshaw is leading CSU with 15.0 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per game.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (3-2) return to action when CSU concludes the 2015 calendar year with a 5:00 pm meet at Canisius on Friday (Dec. 18).
• CSU finished seventh at the Akron Zippy Invitational from Dec. 4-6. Philipp Sikatzki just missed the “A” finals in the 200 free, but his time of 1:38.43 in the “B” finals was the fastest in the event.
• Patrick Walsh finished sixth in the 400 IM with a 4:10.76, while Tommi Wolst (49.20, third) and Grant Wethington (51.46, ninth) both finished in the top-10 in the 100 fly for the Vikings.
• The 200 medley relay team of Wolst, Jared Stergar, Sikatzki and Declan McLaughlin finished in second place with a time of 1:29.70, less than a second off of first place.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (2-6) closes out 2015 when the Vikings return to action at Canisius on Friday (Dec. 18) at 5:00 pm.
• CSU competed at the Akron Zippy Invitational two weeks ago, finishing seventh with 256 points.
• The team of Cassandra Oltman, Tobie Zeller, Molly McNamara and Anna Evans swam to a seventh-place finish in 1:46.04 in the 200 free relay.
• The Vikings (1-2) close out the 2015 calendar year when CSU hosts Edinboro for an EWL match on Saturday (Dec. 19) at 7:00 pm in Woodling Gym.
• The Vikings hosted the CSU Open on Saturday two Vikings posted top-five finishes.
• Gabe Stark took fourth place at 174 pounds, posting a 3-2 record for the day, while Sam Wheeler placed fifth at 197 pounds after going 4-1.
• Senior Riley Shaw is ranked seventh in the nation at heavyweight in the latest rankings. He is a perfect 12-0 this year.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Katie Webb, Cross Country, Senior, Copley, Ohio
Former Cleveland State cross country runner Katie Webb was named the Fall 2015 College of Health and Human Performance Valedictorian as well as the Fall 2015 Class Valedictorian. Webb was selected as her college valedictorian after being nominated earlier this semester, and was then selected by Cleveland State University to serve as the overall class valedictorian at the 2015 Fall Commencement.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Tim Hasbargen: The men’s basketball sophomore played the final 13 minutes vs. Ohio, finishing with nine points and four rebounds.
Kayla Patterson: The women’s basketball sophomore recorded a career-high with nine points and tied her career-best with three rebounds vs. Toledo.
Ashlyn Woods: The cross country senior was named one of the College of Sciences and Health Professions Fall 2015 Outstanding Seniors in her major of Speech and Hearing.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15
Women’s Basketball hosts FIU, 11:00 am
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16
Men’s Basketball at Loyola (Ill.), 8:00 pm
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18
Men’s Swimming/Diving at Canisius, 5:00 pm
Women’s Swimming/Diving at Canisius, 5:00 pm
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19
Men’s Basketball hosts Belmont, 1:00 pm
Wrestling hosts Edinboro, 7:00 pm
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 20
Women’s Basketball vs. St. Louis, 4:00 pm
at New Orleans, La.
MONDAY, DECEMBER 21
Women’s Basketball vs. Tulane/UNCG, TBA