PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• CSU (2-6) is back in action on Saturday (Dec. 12) when the Vikings host Ohio at 1:00 pm in the second of five games for CSU at Quicken Loans Arena this year.
• The Vikings dropped two games last week, falling at Toledo on Wednesday and to Kent State on Saturday in CSU’s first game at Quicken Loans Arena this year.
• Vinny Zollo record his first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds against Kent State.
• Rob Edwards leads the team in scoring at 11.6 points per game, the second highest average by a freshman in the Horizon League this year.
• Cleveland State (2-4) will travel to Toledo for its lone contest of the week, taking on the Rockets at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 12.
• Last week the Vikings picked up their first two wins of the season, notching back-to-back wins over Kent State (60-49) and Bowling Green (69-48).
• Ashanti Abshaw (14.5 ppg), Khayla Livingston (14.0), and Adesuwa Aideyman (12.7) are all averaging double figures, while Abshaw (7.7 rpg) and Olivia Voskuhl (7.3) have been CSU’s top rebounders.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (3-2) are out of action until CSU concludes the 2015 calendar year with a 5:00 pm meet at Canisius on Dec. 18.
• CSU finished seventh at the Akron Zippy Invitational over the weekend. Philipp Sikatzki just missed the “A” finals in the 200 free, but his time of 1:38.43 in the “B” finals was the fastest in the event.
• Patrick Walsh finished sixth in the 400 IM with a 4:10.76, while Tommi Wolst (49.20, third) and Grant Wethington (51.46, ninth) both finished in the top-10 in the 100 fly for the Vikings.
• The 200 medley relay team of Wolst, Jared Stergar, Sikatzki and Declan McLaughlin finished in second place with a time of 1:29.70, less than a second off of first place.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (2-6) closes out 2015 when the Vikings return to action at Canisius on Dec. 18 at 5:00 pm.
• CSU competed at the Akron Zippy Invitational over the weekend, finishing seventh with 256 points.
• The team of Cassandra Oltman, Tobie Zeller, Molly McNamara and Anna Evans swam to a seventh-place finish in 1:46.04 in the 200 free relay.
• Cleveland State’s 2015 season came to end in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last week, as the Vikings fell to top-seeded USC, 3-1.
• This was CSU’s third trip to the NCAA Tournament – all coming under head coach Chuck Voss.
• The Vikings finished the 2015 season with a 26-7 record – with the 26 wins tying a program record for wins in a season over the last 30 years.
• The Vikings (1-2) return to action on Saturday (Dec. 12) when they host the CSU Invitational at 9:00 am in Woodling Gym.
• CSU battled defending national champion Ohio State last Tuesday before falling, 26-18, in front of 1,811 in Woodling Gym.
• Riley Shaw, ranked eighth in the nation, improved to 11-0 this year with a 6-4 win at heavyweight.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Ashanti Abshaw, Women’s Basketball, Freshman, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Abshaw helped the Vikings to two wins last week, averaging 13.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game. She tallied a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds in a win over Kent State and followed that with 16 points and eight rebounds as the Vikings defeated Bowling Green at Quicken Loans Arena. Abshaw added three assists and three steals in the two games.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Dayna Roberts: The volleyball senior capped her career with 15 digs at USC in the NCAA tournament. She ranks fourth all-time in CSU history with 1,215 digs.
Philipp Sikatzki: The men’s swimming junior swam the fastest time in the 200 freestyle (1:38.43) at the Akron Zippy Invitational.
Vinny Zollo: The men’s basketball senior tallied his first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds on Saturday vs. Kent State.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 12
Wrestling hosts CSU Open, 9:00 am
Men’s Basketball hosts Ohio, 1:00 pm (at Quicken Loans Arena)
Women’s Basketball at Toledo, 2:00 pm
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15
Women’s Basketball hosts FIU, 11:00 am
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16
Men’s Basketball at Loyola (Ill.), 8:00 pm
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18
Men’s Swimming/Diving at Canisius, 5:00 pm
Women’s Swimming/Diving at Canisius, 5:00 pm
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19
Men’s Basketball hosts Belmont, 1:00 pm
Wrestling hosts Edinboro, 7:00 pm