PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
• CSU opens the regular season on Saturday (Nov. 14) when the Vikings play Akron at Kent State at 9:00 pm as part of the Northeast Ohio Coaches vs. Cancer.
• The Vikings are coming off a 19-15 season last year and advanced to the CollegeBasketballInsider.com tournament, CSU’s sixth postseason in the last eight years.
• The Vikings will officially kickoff the 2015-16 season this week, hosting Bucknell on Friday, November 13 at 7:00 p.m. in their season and home opener.
• Prior to Friday’s season opener, Cleveland State will host Roberts Wesleyan on Monday, November 9 in their second exhibition contest. CSU defeated Lake Erie, 64-45, in its first exhibition game last week.
• The Vikings will compete in their final race of the 2015 season this weekend, participating in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional on Friday, November 13.
• Cleveland State is coming off a strong showing at the Horizon League Championship last time out, and will be running in its fourth 6K of the season.
• The Vikings return to action at the Case Western Duals on Saturday. The men’s squad will enter with a 6-3 overall record, while the women’s team has posted a 3-5 mark this year.
• CSU (8-7-2) opens play in the Horizon League Championship with a first round match against Detroit on Monday night at 7:00 pm at Krenzler Field. The winner advances to Thursday’s semifinals in Chicago.
• The Vikings closed the regular season with a 1-0 win at first place UIC on Friday night as Kevin Blackwood scored the lone goal. CSU went 5-1-1 over its last seven regular season matches.
• The Vikings closed their season with an 8-10-1 record, falling in the first round of the Horizon League Championship, 1-0, at Northern Kentucky.
• Kaila Sargema and Allie Sieradzki were both named to the All-Horizon League second team, while Ashley Thiss was selected to the All-Freshman team.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (3-1) returns to action with a 6:00 pm dual at Ohio State on Thursday.
• The Vikings earned a 175-116 win over St. Bonaventure on Saturday, CSU’s third straight win.
• The 200 Medley relay team of Philipp Sikatzki, Tommi Wolst, Szymon Golczyk and Adam Ingledew wom the event in 1:29.69, the 19th best event time in the country as of November 7.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (2-5) is back in the pool on Thursday with a 6:00 pm dual meet at Ohio State.
• The Vikings dropped a dual against Marshall on Friday and split a tri-meet on Saturday, defeating St. Bonaventure and falling to Marshall.
• The 200 Free relay team of Ashleigh Bennett, Anna Evans, Claudia Zido and Jamie Vandewerker finished the meet in style, earning a win for the Vikings with a time of 1:38.41.
• CSU closes out the regular season this week, playing three matches over a five-day span. CSU will host NKU on Tuesday (Nov. 10), and travel to UIC (Friday, Nov. 13) and Valparaiso (Saturday, Nov. 14).
• CSU enters the week sitting in first place in the Horizon League standings with a 22-5 overall record and an 11-2 mark in league play - and will be battling for the Horizon League regular season title.
• The Vikings (1-0) return to action at the Ohio Duals on Saturday at 10:00 am in Geneva, Ohio.
• CSU earned a 40-6 win over John Carroll in its first dual of the year on Sunday. The Vikings won eight of the 10 matches, including a pin by Sam Wheeler at 197 pounds.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Kevin Blackwood, Men’s Soccer, Sophomore, Kingston, Jamaica
Blackwood scored the lone goal in CSU’s 1-0 win at first place UIC on Friday, clinching a berth and home match for CSU in the Horizon League tournament. It was the first goal of the season for Blackwood, coming in the 33rd minute of the contest. The goal helped CSU improve to 5-1-1 over its last seven contests.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Anna Evans: The women’s swimming junior claimed the 100 freestyle in a tri-meet on Saturday, recording a time of 54.32.
Szymon Golczyk: The men’s swimming freshman won the 100 fly against St. Bonaventure with a time of 47.43, the eighth fastest time in the nation this year.
Allie Sieradzki: The women’s soccer senior closed her career by earning a spot on the All-Horizon League second team after scoring four goals this year.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 9
Men’s Soccer hosts Detroit, 7:00 pm
Women’s Basketball hosts Roberts Wesleyan (EX), 7:00 pm
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10
Volleyball hosts Northern Kentucky, 7:00 pm
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 12
Men’s Swimming/Diving at Ohio State, 6:00 pm
Women’s Swimming/Diving at Ohio State, 6:00 pm
Men’s Soccer at HL Semifinals, TBA
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13
Cross Country at NCAA Regionals, 11:00 am
Women’s Basketball hosts Bucknell, 7:00 pm
Volleyball at UIC, 8:00 pm
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14
Fencing at Case Western Duals, All Day
Wrestling at Ohio Duals, 10:00 am
Volleyball at Valparaiso, 5:00 pm
Men’s Basketball vs. Akron (at Kent State), 9:00 pm
Men’s Soccer at HL Championship, TBA