PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• After taking a week off from competition, the Vikings will return to action at the 2015 Horizon League Championship this weekend, running in the 6K championship race at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 31.
• The race will take place in Cedarville, Ohio.
MEN’S & WOMEN’S FENCING
• The Vikings are back in action at the Northwestern Duals on Saturday. The men’s team went 3-1 to open the season at the Ohio State Duals on Oct. 7, while the women posted a 1-3 record.
MEN’S & WOMEN’S GOLF
• Both teams finished the fall season at the Dayton Flyer Invitational last Monday and Tuesday.
• The men placed fifth as Blake Prince shot rounds of 75-72 (147) to finish in third place. The women finished sixth overall, led by Allyson Hackman who tied for fifth place with a 36-hole total of 150 (76-74).
• The Vikings (6-7-2, 2-3-2 HL) travel to Green Bay on Saturday night for an 8:00 pm EST match.
• CSU went 0-1-1 last week, falling at No. 18 Ohio State on a late goal on Wednesday night and playing to a 0-0 double overtime draw with Milwaukee on Saturday at home.
• CSU (8-8-1, 4-4 HL) closes the regular season with an 8:00 pm EST match at Valparaiso on Friday.
• The Vikings enter the week in fifth place in the League standings with 12 points, two ahead of Valpo and Detroit and just one point behind fourth place Wright State. The top-six make the league tournament.
• CSU dropped a pair of matches last week, falling 2-0 at Wright State and 1-0 at home to Oakland.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (2-1) takes a week off from competition before hosting Marshall and St. Bonaventure on Nov. 7.
• The Vikings earned a 158-68 win over Gannon on Saturday, winning all 13 events. Philipp Sikatzki and Tommi Wolst both won two events, while Danny Roberts won the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (1-3) will be out of action this week, returning to action on Nov. 6 when the Vikings host Marshall. The Vikings will also host Marshall and St. Bonaventure on Nov. 7.
• Cassandra Oltman won two events and was part of the 200 IM relay tetam in the meet vs. Gannon. She won the 200 IM and 100 butterfly, while Tori Taffner won both diving events for CSU.
MEN’S & WOMEN’S TENNIS
• Both squads wrapped up the fall season over the weekend at the ITA Midwest Regionals.
• Joe VanMeter won his first match in the main singles draw to advance to the round of 32 before falling to the No. 4 ranked player in the tournament in three sets.
• Princess Gbadamosi finished the fall season with a team-best 6-6 singles record, while Mathilde Orange finished the fall with five singles wins.
• The Vikings (20-4, 9-1) will close out a three-match roadswing this weekend, traveling to Youngstown State for their lone contest on Friday, October 30.
• CSU, which has won 12 of its last 13 matches, picked up a 3-1 win at Green Bay last Friday and a five-set victory at Milwaukee on Saturday to record its sixth 20-win season under head coach Chuck Voss.
• Gina Kilner enters the week ranked eighth on the CSU career assists list with 1,571, while Dayna Roberts (9th – 1,091) and Nikki Holmes (10th – 1,079) both rank in the top-10 on the CSU career digs list.
• The Vikings open the season at the Clarion Open on Sunday with action beginning at 9:00 am.
• Senior Riley Shaw returns at heavyweight for CSU after winning the EWL Championship and advancing to the NCAA Championship last year for the second time in his career.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Philipp Sikatzki, Men’s Swimming, Junior, Leipzig, Germany
Sikatzki won both events he competed in on Saturday to help lead CSU to a victory over Gannon. Sikatzki won the 100 butterfly with a time of 48.66, almost three second better than the runner-up. He then went out and captured the 100 breaststroke with a time of 59.73. His performance came ont heels of winning three events in the season opening meet last week.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Alexis Middlebrooks: The volleyball sophomore totaled 30 kills in two matches over the weekend, helping CSU win two matches and improve to 20-4 this year.
Blake Prince: The men’s golf sophomore finished third at the Dayton Flyer Invitational last week, carding round of 75-72 (147).
Joe VanMeter: The men’s tennis senior won his first match at the ITA Midwest Regionals to advance to the round of 32 in the event.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30
Volleyball at Youngstown State, 7:00 pm
Women’s Soccer at Valparaiso, 8:00 pm
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31
Basketball Hosts Hallo-Hoops
Women’s Basketball Scrimmage, 10:00 am
Men’s Basketball Scrimmage, 10:30 am
Trick-or-Treating, 11:30 am
Cross Country at HL Championship, 12:00 pm
Men’s Soccer at Green Bay, 8:00 pm
Fencing at Northwestern Duals, All Day
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 1
Wrestling at Clarion Open, 9:00 am
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 2
Women’s Basketball hosts Lake Erie, (EX), 7:00 pm
Women’s Soccer in HL First Round, TBA