PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• The Vikings will continue their season at the #JennaStrong Classic in Wilmington, Ohio on Friday at 4:30 pm.
• Last time out, the Vikings ran at the Disney Cross Country Classic – with Ashlyn Woods finishing 22nd out of 304 runners with a time of 18:57 – her third sub 19-minute 5K of the season.
• CSU will close out the fall schedule next week, playing at the Dayton Flyer Invitational on Oct. 19-20.
• The Vikings finished fifth at the CSU Invitational last week as Joey Krecic paced the Vikings, tying for 21st place overall with rounds of 73-74-73 (220).
• The Vikings conclude play at The Fall Preview on Monday in Noblesville, Ind.
• CSU opened the tournament with rounds of 318 and 336 on Sunday. Allyson Hackman and Sophie Kelner are tied for 41st place after 36-holes with 157 totals.
• The Vikings (4-6-1, 1-3-1 HL) will play two matches this week, traveling to Pittsburgh on Tuesday (Oct. 13) and hosting Belmont on Saturday (Oct. 17).
• CSU split two matches last week, falling at home to Northern Kentucky, 2-1, on Wednesday and earning a 4-3 win in overtime at Oakland on Saturday.
• Victor Zamora scored his first career goal in the loss to KNU, while Jake Lagania and Sergio Manesio scored two goals each in the win at defending Horizon League champion Oakland.
• CSU (7-5-1, 3-1 HL) plays two road matches this week, traveling to UIC on Wednesday (Oct. 14) and playing at Northern Kentucky on Saturday (Oct. 17).
• The Vikings dropped their lone match last week, falling at home to Milwaukee, 1-0.
MEN’S & WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will open the 2015-16 season in Cincinnati on Friday night.
• Both teams will compete against host Cincinnati and Xavier.
• The Vikings will close out their fall schedule at the ITA Midwest Regional – with play beginning on Thursday, Oct. 22 in South Bend, Ind.
• Joe VanMeter went 2-1 at the UT Rocket Invitational last time out, becoming the ninth Viking all-time to notch 60 career singles wins, and is now tied for eighth on the CSU singles wins list.
• The Vikings will take a week off from competition, returning to the courts for the ITA Midwest Regional on Thursday, Oct. 22 in Ann Arbor, Mich.
• Katy Quillin had her best weekend of the fall season at the UB Invitational last weekend, advancing to the championship match of the Singles E Flight and the Doubles C Flight with Victoria Bensimon.
• The Vikings (16-3, 5--0 HL), who have won eight straight matches, will have one of the busiest stretches of Horizon League action this week, playing three matches over a five-day span.
• CSU travels to Northern Kentucky (Oct. 13), before hosting Valparaiso (Oct. 16) and UIC (Oct. 17).
• Dayna Roberts notched her 1,000th career dig against Oakland last weekend, joining classmate Nikki Holmes in the 1,000-dig club.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Jake Lagania, Men’s Soccer, Sophomore, North Royalton, Ohio
Lagania helped the Vikings split a pair of matches last week. He has the assist on CSU’s goal in a setback to Northern Kentucky and scored two goals to help lift the Vikings to a 4-3 win at Oakland on Saturday night. Lagania, who has a point in four of CSU’s last five games, leads the team in goals (5), assists (2) and points (12).
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Sergio Manesio: The men’s soccer junior scored two goals in Saturday’s win at Oakland, including the game-winner on a free kick in overtime.
Katy Quillin: The women’s tennis freshman advanced to the championship of the Singles “E” Flight at the UB Invitational over the weekend.
Christina Toth: The volleyball senior posted a career-high 26 kills in a win at Oakland and averaged 4.78 kills in two wins over the weekend.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
MONDAY, OCTOBER 12
Women’s Golf at The Preview, 9:00 am
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 13
Men’s Soccer at Pittsburgh, 7:00 pm
Volleyball at Northern Kentucky, 7:00 pm
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 14
Women’s Soccer at UIC, 8:00 pm
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 16
Cross Country at #JennaStrong Classic, 4:30 pm
Women’s Swimming at Cincinnati (with Xavier), 6:00 pm
Men’s Swimming at Cincinnati (with Xavier), 6:00 pm
Volleyball hosts Valparaiso, 7:00 pm
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 17
Volleyball hosts UIC, 4:00 pm
Men’s Soccer hosts Belmont, 7:00 pm
Women’s Soccer at Northern Kentucky, 7:00 pm