PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• CSU (8-18, 3-10 HL) hosts Valparaiso at 7:00 pm on Tuesday at Quicken Loans Arena and starts its annual trip to Wisconsin with a 4:00 pm ET contest at Milwaukee on Saturday.
• The Vikings earned a 64-59 win at Youngstown State on Saturday night behind a career-high 30 points from Demonte Flannigan. He is averaging 18.8 points over his last six games.
• Cleveland State (5-18, 2-11) will travel to Youngstown State for its lone contest of the week, facing the Penguins at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 20.
• Entering the week Brooke Smith leads the Horizon League averaging 3.0 steals per game, while Ashanti Abshaw ranks fifth averaging 15.9 points per game ad second averaging 9.0 rebounds per game.
• The Vikings (3-1) travel to the Coastal Carolina Tournament for five games this weekend. CSU plays Towson and Appalachian State on Friday, Coastal Carolina and Seton Hall on Saturday and Coastal Carolina on Sunday.
• CSU opened the season by winning three of four games at the CSU Dome Tournament over the weekend. After dropping the opener to Morehead State, the Vikings defeated Niagara, Robert Morris and Bowling Green.
• Emma Nicholas hit .556 (5-9) with a home run and two RBI in the four games, while Erica McNew batted .385 with two homers and six RBI. Susan Knight threw a complete game to earn the win over Robert Morris and had a 1.27 ERA with seven strikeouts in two starts.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (7-4) will have the week off from competition to prepare for the 2015-16 Horizon League Championship, which will take place Wednesday, February 24 through Saturday, February 27 in Rochester, Michigan.
• Terrence Morris, Ryan Johnson, and Alex Strawser participated in six different events over the weekend at the Ohio State Winter Invite.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• CSU (4-10) is out of action this weekend, as the Vikings will be preparing for the upcoming Horizon League Championship which will take place Wednesday, February 24 through Saturday, February 27 in Rochester, Michigan.
• The Vikings participated in the Ohio State Winter Invite last weekend, with Larissa Czupik and Abigail Kaple swimming in three different events.
• Cleveland State (5-3) will close out a seven-match roadswing this weekend, traveling to Buffalo (Saturday, February 20) and St. Bonaventure (Sunday, February 21).
• The Vikings (5-3) went 2-1 last week, beating Nebraska-Omaha and Illinois State and falling to Northern Illinois.
• Senior Joe VanMeter went 3-0 at No. 3 singles last weekend, and owns a team-best 6-2 singles record this spring.
• The Vikings (3-3) will take the week off from competition, returning to the courts on Saturday, February 27 and Sunday, February 28 when they travel to Western Michigan and Michigan State.
• CSU topped Bolwing Green, 5-2, on Friday for its third straight win, picking up all five points in singles play.
• Isabella Spindler has a team-best 5-1 singles mark, while Aleksandra Golawska sits at 4-2 this spring.
• CSU (7-7, 3-2 EWL) closes the regular season with two matches this weekend, hosting Michigan State on Friday (Feb. 19) at 7:00 pm and traveling to Bloomsburg for a 2:00 pm contest on Sunday (Feb. 21).
• The Vikings dropped a pair of duals over the weekend, falling to Ohio and Gardner-Webb. Sam Wheeler (197 pounds) and Riley Shaw (HWT) won both of their matches, including a tech fall from Shaw.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Demonte Flannigan, Men’s Basketball, Junior, Richmond Heights, OH
Flannigan scored a career-high 30 points to lead the Vikings to a 64-59 win at Youngstown State in CSU’s lone game last week. He made 10-of-13 from the field and added five rebounds. Flannigan made all nine of his free throws, including both ends of a one-and-one with 4.3 seconds left to seal the victory.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Ashanti Abshaw: The women’s basketball freshman had her seventh double-double this year with 20 points and 17 rebounds at Milwaukee on Thursday.
Katelind Phillips: The softball senior hit .500 (7-14) with two doubles and two RBI as the Vikings opened the season by going 3-1 at the CSU Dome Tournament.
Joe VanMeter: The men’s tennis senior helped the Vikings to a 2-1 record last week, going 3-0 at No. 3 singles and 2-0 at No. 1 doubles.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16
Men’s Basketball vs. Valparaiso, 7:00 pm
at Quicken Loans Arena
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19
Softball vs. Towson, 9:00 am
Softball vs. Appalachian State, 2:30 pm
Wrestling hosts Michigan State, 7:00 pm
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20
Men’s Tennis at Buffalo, 1:00 pm
Women’s Basketball at Youngstown State, 1:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at Milwaukee, 4:00 pm
Softball at Coastal Carolina, 4:15 pm
Softball vs. Seton Hall, 6:30 pm
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 21
Men’s Tennis at St. Bonaventure, 10:00 am
Softball at Coastal Carolina, 11:45 am
Wrestling at Bloomsburg, 2:00 pm