PDF: Viking Sports Weekly
A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
• Cleveland State (5-12, 0-4 HL) plays two road games this weekend, traveling to Wright State on Thursday (Jan. 14) and Northern Kentucky on Saturday (Jan. 16). Both games will tip-off at 7:00 pm.
• The Vikings wrapped up one of their busiest stretches of the season last week, playing three games over six days with setbacks at Detroit and to Green Bay and Milwaukee at home.
• Rob Edwards scored a career-high 26 points at Detroit, while the Vikings rallied from an 18-point second half deficit to Milwaukee before falling, 65-62.
• Cleveland State will wrap up a three-game homestand this weekend, hosting Youngstown State at 1:00 pm on Saturday, January 16.
• The Vikings (3-11, 0-4 HL) are coming off their busiest stretch of the season, playing four games over an eight-day span, and will be trying for their first Horizon League victory of the year on Saturday.
• Brooke Smith leads the Horizon League averaging 3.5 steals per game, while Ashanti Abshaw ranks fifth in rebounding (8.7) and seventh in scoring (15.2).
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (4-2) return to action for the final two home duals of the season when CSU hosts UIC on Friday (Jan. 15) at 5:30 pm and Wright State Saturday (Jan. 16) at 1:00 pm.
• CSU closed out the 2015 calendar year with a 145.5-96.5 win at Canisius on Friday.
• MacJilton Lewis was the only 1,000 Free competitor to boast a time under 10:00, finishing in first-place with a 9:59.60.
• Philipp Sikatzki won the 200 Fly (1:52.52), beating the runner-up by more than five seconds.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (3-6) return to action for the final two home duals of the season when CSU hosts UIC on Friday (Jan. 15) at 5:30 pm and Wright State Saturday (Jan. 16) at 1:00 pm.
• CSU finished the 2015 portion of their schedule with a 153-90 win at Canisius on Friday.
• Claudia Zido (10:45.43), Bethany Robertson (10:51.23) and Jodi Turk (10:58.45) finished first, second and third respectively in the 1,000 freestyle.
• Molly McNamara continued her strong season, winning the 200 IM with a time of 2:12.69.
• CSU (4-4, 0-1 EWL) returns to action on Saturday (Jan. 16) when the Vikings host George Mason for an EWL dual at 12:00 pm in Woodling Gym.
• The Vikings opened the 2016 calendar year by taking part in the Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Jan. 1-2.
• Riley Shaw placed at the event for the second straight year, finishing sixth overall, while John Martin, Alfredo Gray, Mike Carlone, Gabe Stark, Nick Corba and Sam Wheeler all advanced to the second day of competition.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Andre Yates, Men’s Basketball, Junior, Dayton, Ohio
Yates averaged 15.0 points, 1.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists in three games last week. He shot 56-percent from the field (18-32), including 5-of-11 (.455) from three-point. He scored 14 points at Detroit and followed it with 16-points vs. Green Bay and 15 points versus Milwaukee.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Demonte Flannigan: The men’s basketball junior posted his second career double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds against Milwaukee.
Christine Moeller: CSU’s Associate Director of Athletics for Student Affairs is celebrating her birthday today. Happy Birthday Christine!!!
Nicolete Newman: The women’s basketball freshman guard earned her first career start in Thursday’s game against Green Bay.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 14
Men’s Basketball at Wright State, 7:00 pm
FRIDAY, JANUARY 15
Men’s Swim/Dive hosts UIC, 5:30 pm
Women’s Swim/Dive hosts UIC, 5:30 pm
SATURDAY, JANUARY 16
Wrestling hosts George Mason, 12:00 pm
Men’s Swim/Dive hosts Wright State, 1:00 pm
Women’s Swim/Dive hosts Wright State, 1:00 pm
Women’s Basketball hosts YSU, 1:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at Northern Ky., 7:00 pm
MONDAY, JANUARY 18
Men’s Basketball hosts UIC, 7:00 pm