A look at what's happening in Cleveland State Athletics...
- Cleveland State (6-7) will play its road finale this Saturday, April 20, as the Vikings make the trek to Utah.
- The Vikings dropped a 13-8 decision to Robert Morris this past weekend as their second half comeback came up short.
- Tristan Hanna had his seventh hat trick of the season in the setback while Michael Wilson had three assists.
- The Vikings (15-7, 4-0) will close out the regular season this weekend, hosting IUPUI (Friday, April 19) and UIC (Saturday, April 20) in the final two #HLMTEN matches of the year.
- Entering the weekend, Cleveland State is at the top of the league standings, tied with UIC who also has a perfect 4-0 mark against league opponents.
- Last time out, the Vikings picked up matching 6-1 wins over Northern Kentucky and Wright State, with Nico Mostardi and Matthew Terry both recording their 20th singles wins of the season.
- Cleveland State (14-7, 7-0) will return to the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion for the final time this year to close out regular season play this weekend, hosting IUPUI (Friday, April 19) and UIC (Saturday, April 20).
- The Vikings enter the final week of regular season #HLWTEN action tied for the league lead with the Flames, while they are also currently on a nine-match winstreak.
- Last time out, Cleveland State picked up a 4-3 win at Northern Kentucky and a 6-1 victory at Wright State, with Isabella Spindler, Siân Payne and Kateryna Avram all going 2-0 in singles action.
- The Vikings (10-26, 3-9) will return home to continue Horizon League play this weekend, facing IUPUI in a three-game series on Friday, April 19 and Saturday, April 20.
- This weekend's series will mark Senior Weekend for the Vikings, as they will honor Bailee Gray, Macy Kaisk and Riley Ries.
- Cleveland State will head south to the state of Florida to defend its Horizon League Tournament Championship this weekend, as the #HLGOLF championship is set to begin on Sunday, April 21 in Howey-In-The-Hills, Fla.
- The Vikings have won the last five Horizon League Championships, and nine of the last 12 titles.
- Cleveland State's best finish this spring came at the Spring Wildcat Invitational last week, as the Vikings finished tied for third in the 20-team field.
- After a five-event spring season, the Vikings are set for the Horizon League Championship this weekend, with action at the #HLGOLF Tournament beginning on Sunday, April 21.
- Last time out, the Vikings finished second at the YSU Spring Invitational, with Kaylee Neumeister earning medalist honors after shooting an even-par 72.
- Entering the league championships, Neumeister leads the Vikings with a 76.8 average, while Madison Butler is close behind with a 76.9 average.
Outdoor Track & Field
- Cleveland State will return to action at the CWRU Invitational this weekend, making the short trip to Case Western on Saturday, April 20.
- The Vikings were last in action at the Ball State Challenge, where they were paced by Monica Johnson who recorded a pair of program records in the 100 Meter Hurdles and the Long Jump.
- Entering the weekend, Cleveland State owns six top-five times in the Horizon League, including the second fastest 4x400 relay time.
- The Cleveland State Department of Athletics recognized its scholar-athletes Tuesday morning, as 193 student-athletes were honored for having a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at the 29th annual John Konstantinos Athletic Academic Honors Luncheon.
- Women's Fencing won the Best of the Best Award for having the highest team GPA (3.83), while senior women's swimmer Michaela Bargardi won the President's Award for having the highest GPA as a graduating senior (4.00). Senior men's swimmer MacJilton Lewis was honored with the McLendon Award, while senior women's golfer Rayna Oosterhuis took home the Konstantinos Family Scholarship.
This Week's Schedule
Friday, April 19
Men's Tennis hosts IUPUI – 1:00 p.m.
Softball hosts IUPUI – 4:00 p.m.
Women's Tennis hosts IUPUI – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 20
Track & Field at CWRU Invitational – All Day
Men's Tennis hosts UIC – 10:00 a.m.
Softball hosts IUPUI – 1:00/3:00 p.m.
Lacrosse at Utah – 2:00 p.m.
Women's Tennis hosts UIC – 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 21
Men's Golf at Horizon League Championship – All Day
Women's Golf at Horizon League Championship – All Day
Viking Of The Week
Siân Payne, Women's Tennis
The junior went 2-0 at No. 4 singles and 2-0 at No. 3 doubles, helping the Vikings pick up two crucial wins at Northern Kentucky and Wright State. Payne recorded both of her singles wins in straight sets to improve to 6-1 against league opponents this season, while she teamed up with Gaby Schoenberg for the doubles wins to help the Vikings get the early 1-0 advantage in both matches.
Other Top Performers
Tristan Hanna, Lacrosse
Nico Mostardi, Men's Tennis
Kaylee Neumeister, Women's Golf
Zach Robbins, Men's Golf
Monica Johnson, Track & Field