A look at what's happening in Cleveland State Athletics...
- Cleveland State opens its Horizon League slate at home this Saturday, September 8, as it welcomes defending regular-season champion Green Bay at 7:00 p.m.
- The Vikings outshot visiting Cincinnati in their lone action of the past week but dropped a 2-0 decision in their home opener.
- The Vikings (3-3) will close out non-league play this weekend, hosting Ohio at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, September 7 and traveling to Canisius for a 1:00 p.m. contest on Sunday, September 9.
- Friday’s contest against Ohio will be Senior Day for the Vikings, as they will honor the 2018 senior class prior to the start of the match.
- Cleveland State is coming off a second place finish at the UNCW Soccer Invitational, where they picked up a 4-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson before falling to UNCW (3-0) in the tournament finale.
- The trio of Essence Canady, Stevie Holbrook and Sarah Krause were named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Cleveland State (4-2) will return to the friendly confines of Woodling Gymnasium this weekend for the second installment of the CSU Invitational (Friday, September 7 & Saturday, September 8), hosting UC Irvine, Bowling Green and No. 11 Illinois.
- Last time out, the Vikings went 1-2 at the Michigan Invitational, picking up a 3-2 victory over Harvard and falling to No. 23 Michigan (3-0) and Eastern Michigan (3-1).
- Senior Rachel Stover earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team after averaging 2.50 kills and 1.25 blocks per set on the weekend.
- The Vikings will continue the 2018 season this Saturday (September 8), participating in the Tommy Evans Invitational hosted by Akron University. The women’s race is set for an 11:00 a.m. start in Norton, Ohio.
- Last week, Cleveland State opened the year with a fourth place finish at the Duquesne Duals, paced by sophomore Anna Brandt who finished second overall with a time of 18:30.
- For her efforts, Brandt was named the #HLXC Runner of the Week, becoming just the third Viking to earn the honor over the last four years.
- Cleveland State will next be in action September 15-16 at the EKU Intercollegiate.
- The Vikings opened their season at the Turning Stone Tiger Intercollegiate this past weekend, finishing in 13th place in the team standings with a 54-hole score of +40 (904).
- Freshman Jack Hanus, playing as an individual, tied for fifth in the 100-player field with a -3 (213). He was the top freshman finisher at the event.
- Cleveland State resumes action at the Cardinal Classic September 17-18.
- The Vikings finished third at the season-opening Roseanne Schwartz Invitational earlier this week at +24 (600).
- CSU shot a 299 in Tuesday’s final round, marking just the fourth round in program history under 300.
- Sophomore Madison Butler tied for third in the event by shooting 72-74 as she finished at +2.
- Cleveland State will resume action on the final weekend of the month at the Ohio State Duals.
- The Vikings kicked off their season this past weekend by hosting the CSU Fall Open.
- Ahmad Taqi was CSU’s top finisher on the day, taking fifth in the foil event. Will Waters (11th) and Sawyer Cornett (16th) also posted top-20 finishes in the foil.
Viking of the Week
Anna Brandt, Cross Country
Brandt was named the #HLXC Runner of the Week after placing second overall at the Duquesne Duals, posting a 5K time of 18:30. Her time marked the fifth fastest 5K time in program history, while it also marked the fifth 18-minute 5K of her collegiate career.
Other top Performers
Rachel Stover, Volleyball
Essence Canady, Women’s Soccer
Stevie Holbrook, Women’s Soccer
Sarah Krause, Women’s Soccer
Madison Butler, Women’s Golf
Jack Hanus, Men’s Golf
Ahmad Taqi, Men’s Fencing
This Week’s Schedule
Friday, September 7
Volleyball hosts UC Irvine - 12:00 pm
Volleyball hosts No. 11 Illinois - 7:00 pm
Women’s Soccer hosts Ohio - 7:00 pm
Saturday, September 8
Cross Country at Tommy Evans Invite - 11:00 am
Volleyball hosts Bowling Green - 1:30 pm
Men’s Soccer hosts Green Bay - 7:00 pm
Sunday, September 9
Women’s Soccer at Canisius - 1:00 pm